Monday, May 30, 2016

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup -

TortillaSoup2

I know I told you about a few of my pre-baby eating habits, but I feel the need to develop as an intro to this post Ok? So- 3 years- and for many years before what was for dinner was never something I had to worry about. I just figured it out. Sometimes it was a last minute get out order (Ok generally) or launch snacks all of my usually empty refrigerator. After the wedding, it was a little more disciplined, but not much. We always just winged and thought about it. It was not something that had to be considered earlier than 20 minutes before the meal. Here's how he was.

You should see me now. Our dinner menu is planned for the entire week. My planner notes for when I have to start dinner in time for Hugo to eat at 5:30. I have to plan what you guys. I have a child who needs a proper meal every night. I can improvise here and there, but to be honest that causes stress in my day. When I roll in from the playground to 5 and that a meal is ready to go- it feels like the most enormous victory.

TortillaSoup1

As you can imagine, using the slow cooker is a life saver. I can actually Prep everything for Andy is always at home and then just walk for a full dinner. Since Hugo is obsessed with Mexican flavors-, I'm sure he would love this soup and I was right. The whole family loved it and I'm already determine the next time I can do it. It's so easy. Chop an onion was the most tedious part of the whole process, which took a total of 3 minutes. I can not beat the combo of easy and delicious and this recipe is that and more. Add it to your people meal plan! :)

Print
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Ingredients
  • 1 pound raw chicken breasts or thighs
  • 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce *
  • [1945019pimentsverts] 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 (4 oz) can chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1 (10 ounces) frozen corn pack
  • 1 (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • powder 1 teaspoon chili
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • lime wedges, cheese, sour cream and avocado garnish
for bands Tortilla **
  • 7 tortillas
  • vegetable oil for brushing
Instructions
  1. Add chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, peppers, garlic, water, broth , corn, beans and spices in a slow cooker, stirring just to combine.
  2. cook over high heat for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
  3. After baking, use two forks to shred the chicken. (I want to take each on a cutting board to shred, and then add back to pot.) Add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Serve with lime juice, grated cheese, sour cream and avocado, if desired.
For Strips tortilla:
  1. Brush one side tortillas with oil and the cell 4 at a time. Cut into ½ inch strips and place in single layer on a cookie sheet- sprinkling salt.
  2. Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes or until crisp.
notes
Recipe adapted recipes

* I would have been happy using the store bought sauce, but obviously could not find it in a place as mine made using this super easy recipe.

** I my Homemade tortilla strips, but in a pinch of crushed chips would work well too!

Advertiser