Sunday, February 12, 2017

Guiniess fudgy brownies with Whiskey Caramel Glaze

Guiniess fudgy brownies with Whiskey Caramel Glaze -

brownies3

Given my Irish roots (my grandfather James McCann was pure Irish -sang,) and the fact that my husband has a good amount of Irish blood and I could not let the St. Patrick's day pass without at least one themed treatment. I will be in Paris on Sunday (omg) and will not celebrate (which really means that the green port and eat corned beef,) but eating these delicious brownies was good enough for me.

The Brownies on their own do not taste super well watered, and the addition of stout really just adds a richness and depth of flavor. The caramel glaze brings high kick of whiskey, but not too feed either, just a nice addition to the wonderful flavor of chocolate brownies.

brownies

The texture of the brownie is to die for- they are super fudge and truffle almost like with a quality that melt in your mouth I love it. Enamel is sticky and sweet with a rich caramel flavor. You know what I'd do if I did this again? How about a few pieces of salted pretzel on top? Given my fresh and salt obsessive, I can not believe I did not do that actually .... (Some of my best ideas come to me at 1 am when editing messages.)

brownies4

PS It's so hard for me to write the messages more than a day in advance. I am currently scheduling for all my trip to Europe, and there is a very good chance that I wrote not make sense when you read it two weeks from now ... :)

Print
Fudgy Guinniess Brownies with Whiskey Caramel Glaze
Ingredients
For Brownies
  • 1 stout cup (like Guinness)
  • 12 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1½ cups sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 extract teaspoon vanilla
  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1¼ teaspoons coffee kosher salt
for the caramel whiskey glaze:
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1½ tablespoons butter
  • ¼ cup scotch whiskey
  • 1 tablespoon Guinness reduction (from brownies)
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar
  • 1-2 tablespoons cream thick or half and half
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
Instructions
Brownies for:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 °. Line a baking parchment 8x8 pan, leaving a "false 2 Set aside
  2. stout Bring to a boil in a small saucepan; .. Cook until reduced to about ⅓ cup, about cool 12 minutes .. (reserve 1 tablespoon Guinness reduction soup for use in caramel sauce.)
  3. Stir the chocolate and butter in a medium heat proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water until melted and smooth.
  4. whisk sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. gradually stir in chocolate mixture and ¼ cup fat from the pan. embed flour and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  5. bake brownies until the surface begins to crack and a tester inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 45-60 minutes *.
  6. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes. using fake parchment, lift brownie from pan and cool completely
For Glaze :.
  1. Mix water with sugar and 2 tablespoons in a dry 2-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stir until the sugar dissolves- then leave it alone.
  2. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is melted into a dark amber color.
  3. Remove from heat and carefully add the butter and whisk quickly until combined.
  4. Gently add the whiskey, Guinness reduction and salt (caramel will bubble and seize). Cook over moderately low heat, stirring until the caramel is smooth.
  5. Cool to warm sauce.
  6. Using an electric mixer, add the powdered sugar and mix until thick and creamy. Gradually add milk to thin a bit if desired.
  7. Pour glaze over cooled brownies and let set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  8. When the bars are completely cooled, cut into bars and serve.
notes
* cooking time varies depending on your oven. My brownie needed a full hour- but yours can be ready much sooner. I would start checking at 40 minutes and monitored every 5 minutes or until done

Brownie Recipe adapted :. Bon Appetit

Follow my blog with bloglovin

Advertiser