Saturday, January 14, 2017

Chocolate "Easter Nest" Cupcakes

Chocolate "Easter Nest" Cupcakes -

nestcupcakes4

I love Easter time. For me, it represents new, fresh and bright. Spring arrived, the flowers begin to bloom, and the energy in the air seems to be one of happiness and hope. (If the current weather in New York is not much of an indication that!) I love the reception pastels and chocolate eggs filled with a variety of delicious toppings. As a child, my Easter mornings were spent at the Mary Janes white church and a fluffy floral dress (see below) followed by a hunt for eggs not close. (Once my uncle carved a hole in a book and sneaked a brutal inside- egg!)

I must admit that my mother did a pretty great job at keeping we fancy throughout Easter huh? Expressions of girls in the top left picture is priceless.

eastercollage

Ha ... I had to share anyway! These "nests" cute can be made on a small cake really- just sprinkling toasted coconut in a small mound on top of the icing. I used the trademark Whopper "Robin Egg" and nestled a couple in the coconut. The end result was as cute as can be and easy way to create a festive dessert for your Easter spread.

I think these cupcakes with vanilla would also be great with coconut nests or even better- Carrot cupcakes! (Luckily for you I share a great recipe in a few weeks!)

nestcupcakes3

I used my favorite recipe one-Bowl chocolate Cupcake and chocolate butter as easy as I am sharing below. as I have already said-any cake recipe works! This recipe EXPRESS- favorite is simple and produces perfect results. It is definitely my new go to something chocolate cupcake it easy wins in my book!

nestcupcakes

PS This is my last post "live" before leaving for Europe tomorrow. I'll check my daily email, but please be patient as I can not be able to answer questions and comments in due course. I have two weeks full of messages all ready to go for you- I hope you like them! :)

Print
Chocolate "Easter Nest" Cupcakes
Ingredients
for Cupcakes:
  • ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1½ cup sugar
  • 1½ teaspoons baking soda
  • powder ¾ teaspoon baking
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • ¾ cup hot water
  • ¾ cup buttermilk
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
for Frosting:
  • 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
  • 3½ in cups powdered sugar
  • ½ cup cocoa powder (I used Dutch process but regular is fine)
  • ½ teaspoon of table salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream
for the filling:
[1945022coco]
  • 2½ shredded sweetened cups
  • candy eggs Easter for garnish
  • Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard boxes paper cups muffins; put aside.
    2. Sift together the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, hot water, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl to ensure the dough is well mixed.
    3. Divide batter evenly into muffin cups, filling each ⅔ full. Bake until tops bounce to the touch, about 20 minutes, turning once pan if necessary. Transfer to a gate; cool completely
    For Frosting :.
    1. Cream butter for a few minutes in a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of sugar and cocoa powder. Mix on the slowest speed until the sugar and cocoa butter are absorbed. Increase speed to medium and add the vanilla extract, salt and milk / cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a stiffer consistency, add a little more powdered sugar. If your frosting should be thinned, add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time
    For the filling / assembly :.
    1. Toast coconut at 325F for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until evenly toasted.
    2. When cool, frost each cupcake, top with toasted coconut and candy eggs nestled inside.
    notes
    recipe Cupcake: Martha Stewart Cupcakes
    Icing adapted recipe: Savory Sweet Life

    Advertiser