Saturday, June 4, 2016

Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Men

Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Men -

Gingerbreads3

Of all the Christmas cookies there, we can all agree that no propagation cookie is complete without gingerbread men. Am I right? They were my favorite holiday cookie since I was a little girl, and my mother used to do every year. Its healthier version used whole wheat flour and honey to sweeten and I love them. They were soft, but almost too soft, always leaving a broken arm or head hanging. So we tried it as honey for real sugar and they were crispy, (which I do not care.) So, I had a bit up on finding my gingerbread, sharp edges, and amid super soft and fluffy perfect, (which does not fall apart!)

Gingerbreads

I'm sure you know what's next I have found this great recipe! They are so soft, it's crazy, and they are very resistant to the decorations and handling. The flavor is great with lots of spices and can I say? It just makes me damn glad to see those smiling faces looking at me.

This recipe uses a bit of a non-conventional method for the manufacture of the pulp. Everything is cut with a food processor creating a mixture of sand and wet ingredients are added. The dough is laminated between two sheets of parchment and chilled- making fast enough before they're ready to roll and cut. (Most recipes require cooling time hours, I appreciated the speed it was!)

I'm really make this recipe a staple in my Christmas Cookie-directory who knows, maybe maybe I'll try to change my Mama healthy recipe for my children someday, but for now it's a fave hands down!

Gingerbreads2

Print
Soft & Chewy Gingerbread Men
Ingredients
  • 3 cups all purpose
  • ¾ dark brown sugar cup
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon ground
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • pods
  • ½ teaspoon
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¾ teaspoon of soda bicarbonate
  • ¾ cup (6 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces and softened slightly
  • ¾ cup molasses
  • 2 tablespoons milk
Instructions
  1. in food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade, combine flour, sugar, spices, salt and baking soda and process until combined, just a few seconds.
  2. Add the butter pieces and stir until mixture is sandy and resembles a fine meal- not large clumps. (It only took about 15-20 seconds.)
  3. With machine running, gradually add the molasses and milk; process until dough holds
  4. Scrape dough onto the work surface. to divide in two. Working with a portion of dough at a time, the ¼-inch thick roll between two large sheets of parchment paper. Let the dough sandwiched between layers of parchment, stack on a cookie sheet and freeze until firm, 15 to 20 minutes. (Alternatively, the dough refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.)
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie Paper sheets with parchment
  6. Remove one sheet of dough freezer. place on work surface. Peel off top sheet of parchment and put it in place. Turn the dough over; off and throw second layer of parchment.
  7. Use cookie cutters to cut dough into men or other forms. Transfer dough on prepared cookie sheet 1 inch apart.
  8. Gather the scraps and refrigerate while you cut the second pastry sheet. You can keep reuse waste, but maybe add a little flour and continue to cool the dough. If the dough becomes really gentle, freeze the entire sheet for 10 minutes before cooking.
  9. Bake cookies 8-11 minutes or until edges are setting does not overcooking. Cool cookies on sheets 2 minutes, then cool on a rack.
  10. Decorate with royal icing when cool! (The recipe I used is linked below!)
Notes
Recipe adapted from Cooking Illustrated

The Royal Icing recipe I used is to bake at 350. :)

Advertiser