Sunday, July 24, 2016

{Monday} Milk Bar GOAT Frozen Yogurt with Beet Ganache Lime and Pistachio Crunch

{Monday} Milk Bar GOAT Frozen Yogurt with Beet Ganache Lime and Pistachio Crunch -

IMG_71251

Christina Tosi described this dessert as " final exam "of his cookbook and I agree. As I did, I felt like a more advanced pastry chef than I am! Now do not get me wrong, all the recipes I've tried The Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook far are involved, but this one is the winner, I must say. It is also (in my opinion) the most unique, since most of the ingredients are more likely found in a salad as a dessert. All that said, it was very cool to do and I'm very glad I did.

IMG_71441

I felt like a pastry chef as I "schmeared" beet lime ganache on the cold plate and placed my spoon of yogurt on top. (I'm not quite mastered the beautiful "scoop." In egg-shaped) As I finally tasted all components of the dessert, I actually stood there me to reflect for a few minutes. "Do I like that?" "Ooh- what is that flavor?" "Yes, I do like that ... I think." "Let me see another bite ...." The consensus reached by the end me and others who sampled it was: this dessert is weird but good. Really well done.

IMG_71141

I actually think I would do again frozen yogurt of goat cheese, as I think it would be nice on top of a summer cobbler. As for the ganache beet and lime, it tasted on the spot for me on its own. Sweet, tart and savory all at once. With all components in place, however, this dessert was really interesting, tasty and worth. If you're ever in New York with the possibility to go to Milk Bar- give it a try!

Only a few of the girls were able to post this recipe today, but be sure to visit our Jaqueline host to The Dusty Baker for its free version / Dairy gluten and Meagan of Scarletta Bakes and Erin Big Fat Baker.

IMG_71291

GOAT frozen yogurt
(makes about 1 quart)
1 teaspoon powdered gelatin unflavored
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup fresh goat (goat cheese)
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons yogurt
1/4 cup glucose (or corn syrup in a pinch)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 c. kosher salt
1/8 c. * citric acid

* also know sour salt this can be found in some grocery stores or baking specialty stores. I'm not able to do, so I added a teaspoon of lemon juice instead. I can not find the extra liquid to be a problem.

1. Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons of cold water and let bloom for a few minutes.
2. Heat a little milk and whisk in the gelatin to dissolve. Trasnfer to a blender or food processor and add the remaining milk, the goat, the sour buttermilk, yogurt, glucose, sugar, salt and citric acid. Puree until smooth.
3. Pour the base through a fine sieve into your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. The frozen yogurt is better just spun before serving or using, but it will keep in an airtight container in the freezer up to 2 weeks.

beet lime ganache
makes about 3/4 cup (I cut the recipe in half to match the amount of ice cream.)
1 peeled beets and chopped (use gloves!) means
1 lime
milk if necessary
2 oz white chocolate
1 tablespoon of butter
1 / 8 cup of glucose (or corn syrup in a pinch)
1/8 cup heavy cream cold
pinch of kosher salt.

1. Heat oven to 325.
2. Wrap the pieces of beets in a large sheet of paper and put it on a baking sheet for easy handling and cleaning. Roast for 2 to 2 hours or until the beets are drooling on the supply side. give them more than 30 minutes in the oven intervals if they are not.
3. Meanwhile, grate the zest of about half the lime and set aside. Press 1 tablespoon lime juice coffee and set aside.
4. Transfer the beets in a blender and puree. (Add a little milk if they do not mix easily.) Place the puree through a strainer fine mesh, it should have the texture of mashed pumpkin or baby food. Measuring just 1/4 cup pureed beets and cool.
5. Mix the white chocolate and butter a dish in the microwave and melt gently in the microwave in 15 seconds between explosions intervals- agitation. The result should be warm to the touch and completely homogeneous.
6.Add glucose warm chocolate mixture and whisk together with a fork until well blended and smooth. Stream in the cream and continue mixing with a fork. The mixture will come together in a silky thing, shiny and smooth.
7.Blend in beet puree, lemon zest and salt. Put the ganache in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up.

pistachio crunch
makes about 1 cup of crisis (again I cut half the recipe and this will still leave you with some remains)
ingredient rating :. I had to make some adjustments to the original recipe because there were some ingredients that I could not find. I will indicate what I did parentheses.

1/4 cup non raw salted pistachios (I used roasted kind shell and just skipped the step of roasting.)
pistachio paste 1/4 cup (I could not find so I used the almond butter.)
feuilletine 3/8 cup (which is a special ingredient I will get on amazon. I used Rice krispies.)
1/8 powdered sugar cup
1/2 tsp kosher salt.

1. If your pistachios raw, preheat oven to 325
2. Put the pistachios on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
3. Put the pistachios in a towl own kitchen with a rolling pin, bash them into small pieces, ideally halved pistachios or breaking them down to not less than one eighth of their original size .
4. Mix pistachios broken with the dough (or almond butter) feuilletine, icing sugar, and salt in a bowl and paddle on medium-low speed for about 1 minute until to homogeneity. The crisis can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days or in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.

Advertiser