Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Pumpkin Buttermilk Pancakes

Pumpkin Buttermilk Pancakes -

pumpkinpancakes3

So here was the situation: I sit for breakfast with my mother-in-law is a small number just a few weeks, and she brings a stack of fluffy pancakes pumpkin to the table. She has a heck of a green thumb, and the end of summer harvest has given a lot of cooking pumpkins which means we enjoyed a weekend of pumpkin inspired new recipes. Anyway, I could not get over how soft, light and delicious the pancakes were.

I asked for the recipe which she said she had printed from the Internet and when she found it, guess it was my recipe ANY KIND! Ha! Hers were much better than I remember mine being-so I thought I should take notes on the process and return this baby. Really are too good to be passed and I really like recirculating some of these oldies but goodies.

PumpkinPancakes2

The only two changes to the original recipe are minor, but seemed to make a big difference. (Now I must also point out that they were made with pumpkin puree fresh garden that is naturally much better than the stuff canned, but canned pureƩ is all I ever seem to get my hands on here it also works.) Anyway, this version contains a little egg, and demands to let the dough rest on the counter for a few minutes before spooning it on the griddle. My MIL said she discovered that letting the baking soda / powder is doing something for a few minutes before cooking seems to really get that the foamy paste. (And let me tell you what is that and more!)

pumpkinpancakes

There was the feeling of more fall like this week than ever, and if I feel a little taken between late summer and autumn, the days are 70 and sunny, but the mornings are cool and crisp. I can not quite bring myself to what season, I committed, but I can eat those pancakes any old time of the year !!

Print
Pumpkin Buttermilk Pancakes
Ingredients
  • 1½-2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg + 1 egg white
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 cups all purpose
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg coffee
  • ¼ ground cloves teaspoon
  • ½ teaspoon salt
Instructions
  1. in a bowl , combine 1½ cups buttermilk, pumpkin, egg, egg white, and oil. Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a bowl. Stir in the pumpkin mixture just until combined. Add additional buttermilk if dough is too thick.
  2. Heat a griddle or a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat. Let the dough rest on the counter for 5-7 minutes, then remove the dough on the plate, with about ¼ cup for each pancake. Turn when bubbles form and pop, and when a raised edge is golden brown.
  3. Serve hot with maple syrup and butter.

adapted Recipe: Allrecipes

Advertiser