Sunday, October 16, 2016

Basic White Bread

Basic White Bread -

bread2

Have you ever go to summer camp as a child? I didn't- but always dreamed of it. I always thought to spend all day with new friends doing fun activities would be the most fun ever. Well, last week, I have to go to the adult version of my "camp" which was really the Blog & Bake ® at King Arthur Flour in Norwich, Vt. There were three days of cooking all day glory- learn the ins and outs of their meal and how to do all kinds of wonderful recipes with her. I met wonderful bloggers and learned so much. Adult cooking camp for the win !!

This white bread recipe database is one of the first we have done. It is so sweet and is just dying for a pat of creamy butter. (You should have seen the group demolished a bread with Vermont butter. Incredible.)

bread3

I find it easy to recreate at home even though they have these "magic" fancy ovens that seem to cook everything perfectly. I think the bread molds we used in class were slightly different, and my food came out smaller and more fit. Can I cook always in a state of the art kitchen with the cooking experts roaming around asking if I need help? Oh, and if all my dirty dishes can magically disappear as I have done with them it would be amazing too. (They were there !!)

I made the most delicious French toast bread using this weekend, and I think it would be fabulous for the grilled cheese too. Anything is better with homemade bread-if the right

bread

More to come on my blog & Bake experience this week- but important note: How do you measure your flour? Do you pick up and level (as I did) or do you have another method? Until this week, I did not know it mattered much- but obviously he really does. My shovel and cup flour weighs 5 oz level, while a cup should weigh about 4 to 4.25 ounces Big difference right? Or weigh your flour (as I go) or try a new method of measurement. 1- Fluff flour before measuring to get some air in there. 2- use a spoon or a cup measurer to gently sprinkle the flour into measuring Cup- not shake or try to fix it. 3- use the back of your shovel quickly level up and there you go. This is my new method of measuring flour for all recipes on the blog !!

basic white bread
recipe: King Arthur flour
Ingredients
  • 2½ to 3 cups (10 -12 ounces) King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons tablespoons milk powder *
  • 2 teaspoons of sugar
  • 1½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) of hot water
Instructions
  1. Measure 1 ½ cup of flour in a medium bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer) and add the milk powder, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and stir into the dry ingredients.
  2. Pour hot water into the mixture and stir by hand to blend.
  3. Stir in four gradually until the dough forms a shaggy mess
  4. Either turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, or engage the dough hook to knead. Knead by hand; fold the edge away from the dough over itself to yu. Press the Ough with the heels of your hands and push. After each press, rotate the dough 0?. RĂ©pat this process in a rocking motion for approximately 8-10 minutes. If dough sticks- sprinkle a little flour. The dough should be soft and elastic.
  5. Put the dough in the mixing bowl (or blender, remove the dough hook and shape the dough into a ball.) Cover with plastic wrap and let proof for room temperature 1 hour or until doubled in size.
  6. After the dough has risen, turn on a clean work surface and punch down slightly. Former bread in the desired shape and transfer to a loaf pan.
  7. Cover the bread with plastic wrap and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
  8. Bake at 375? for 25- 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown of a loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Notes
* No powdered milk? That's OK- just skip it and use hot milk instead of hot water.

Advertiser