Saturday, November 12, 2016

Chocolate croissants (Pain au Chocolat)

Chocolate croissants (Pain au Chocolat) -

painau

Back in March, the day of my departure for Paris, I could not help Croissants Homemade but give it a go. I always wanted to try, and it seemed appropriate how to make the famous French pastry before eating just about anything for a few days. A few weeks after my return from this trip and visited the King Arthur Flour for this beautiful weekend, I bought a bag of "Chocolate Bread Sticks" their incredible cooking supply store with the purpose of the attack again, this time in the chocolate variety I loved so much in Paris.

Shortly after, summer has arrived and there was no way that my wet kitchen could handle the pressure of keeping all these fresh butter layers. So I skipped the chocolate bars in the freezer, waiting for cooler weather. Well, I found them in the freezer last week as I was preparing to use things before the move, and since I am invited to a potluck Saturday brunch, it seemed the perfect time to my growing adventure # 2.

painau5

The manufacturing process of these starts exactly like regular croissants. (This post describes all the steps, including a tutorial image.) Instead of cutting the dough into triangles and roll them into crescent-shaped, they are cut into rectangles and filled either with a thin piece of chocolate or chopped chocolate. (If using chopped chocolate I'd probably place it in the middle and fold inward.)

painau4

The dough is wrapped around the chocolate and placed on a plate cookie proof 45 -60 minutes.

painau3

The dough is brushed with egg and in my case, just a pinch of sea salt flakes (which I think makes everything better.)

painau2

now I'm not too proud of unevenly these babies ended after cooking, if you made chocolate bread before and know how to do these all the same look Size- would love advice. However- they were even better than last time, so flaky, full of the best European butter and chocolate inside was exactly what I wanted. (Now if only they were fast enough to do every day!)

Print
Chocolate Croissants (Pain au Chocolat)
Ingredients
  • 1 lot of Dough Crescent (cool but not deployed)
  • 16- 3 inch sticks of chocolate, or 1¼ cups chopped semisweet chocolate
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • flaky sea salt for sprinkling. (Optional)
Instructions
  1. Cut the dough in half and return the rest to the refrigerator to chill until that you 'are ready to use.
  2. On a well floured surface, gently pat the dough to flatten and roll in a 12x12 square, lifting and dusting with flour around the edges as needed.
  3. using a ruler to cut the dough into 4 equal squares 6x6, then cut each square vertically by 8 rectangles of 3x6.
  4. Place a chocolate bar at one end of each rectangle and roll the dough around. Place on a cookie next to parchment-shaped seam down and flatten slightly.
  5. Repeat with remaining dough. (I have a cookie sheet that is large enough that I did not even roll over the second half of the dough until the first batch finished cooking. You can cook two same time if you wish as well.)
  6. croissants cover with plastic wrap and let proof for 45-60 minutes, until puffy. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.
  7. Bake at 400F for 16-20 minutes, or until the croissants are golden. Enjoy hot or room.
Notes
Recipe adapted from Cooks Illustrated.

Advertiser