Monday, November 21, 2016

Pumpkin Ice Cream

Pumpkin Ice Cream -

pumpkinicecream

Yeah yeah you read. Pumpkin. I know that in terms of seasonal food trends, the pumpkin is so "out" until September at the earliest. At present, it is all about berries and peaches and cherries and other things that fill are markets in July. But- I'm sorry to say I'm a little bit during the summer. Although actually- I'm almost all the way over. My kitchen is the only room in the apartment that does not get a touch of AC so recently it was just horrible. While normally standing and cooking gives me loads of joy lately I just want to get in and out as soon as possible. So I started thinking ahead..to morning net fall football games, and crisp sheets ... and what do you know -I had to have ice cream with pumpkin.

You know, it makes sense if you think about it. July is National Ice Cream month, and this ice cream is still cold and refreshing, even if the flavors are "fall and winter." I thought to make ice cream with pumpkin while last fall but it never felt right. I wanted to turn on my oven to relax my kitchen to eat something more ice and cool. So- since I had saved a pumpkin puree box for such emergencies I made this delicious treat to happen.

pumpkinicecream2

this is really more like pie pumpkin ice cream than anything else. the flavor and texture really reminded me that sweet pie filling and silky that I love so much. it is full of spices and lots of pumpkin so there is no question that you have. and the recipe is not too sweet, which means that I had that for breakfast yesterday. Oops!

Print
Pumpkin Ice Cream
Ingredients
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 c. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups half and half
  • ¾ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 5 egg yolks
  • ½ c. ground cinnamon
  • ½ c. ground ginger
  • ¼ c. salt
  • A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 Tbs. bourbon (optional)
Instructions
  1. In a bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree and vanilla. Stick it in the freezer to allow it to cool slightly while you make the cream.
  2. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 ½ cups half and half and ½ cup brown sugar. Cook until bubbles form around the edges of the pan, about 5 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the egg yolks, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, the remaining ½ cup half and half and the remaining ¼ cup brown sugar . Whisk until smooth and the sugar begins to dissolve.
  4. Remove the heat cream mixture. Gradually add about ½ cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture until smooth.
  5. Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon and keeping the cream over low heat, until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon and leaves a clear trail when a finger is drawn therethrough, 4 to 6 minutes. Do not allow the cream to a boil.
  6. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl.
  7. Place the bowl in a large bowl partially filled with ice water, stirring occasionally until cool.
  8. Whisk the pumpkin mixture into the custard. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.
  9. Chill at least 3 hours or until 24 hours.??Transfer cream manufacturer ice cream and frozen according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  10. Add bourbon during the last minute of churning.
  11. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours or up to 3 days before serving.
notes
I find that half and half really well to creamy but not ice cream too heavy. This recipe called for all heavy cream- but I'm very glad I made the adjustment- it would have been to wealth for summer otherwise.

Recipe slightly adapted from Williams Sonoma

Advertiser