Monday, December 19, 2016

Caramel Apple Scones

Caramel Apple Scones -

Caramel Apple Scones

ever have those days when you suddenly get the urge to smoke a flavor / texture combination of very specific and you just can not rest until you have it? Although I was last weekend. For some reason I was die for scones with apple caramel. I wanted the texture of butter, tart apples and caramel as drippy gooey. I do not want to think too hard and develop my self-mation I have traveled a bit and discovered what appeared to be a great recipe that I happened to have all to. I did not hesitate much, and less than an hour later- I bit in most buttery, sweet and delicious scone ever. I just love when that happens!

IMG_9149

As it is, this recipe is really wonderful- but- I tweak a bit based on what I had and my personal tastes. I wanted there to be lots of apple pieces in scones, ensuring that every bite had some, so I added an additional whole apple. I made them as the mini size, as I wanted to take them to brunch, (and I thought that small sizes let more people taste.) I also accidentally added cinnamon both apples and dough, which turned out to be a wonderful thing. The scones were a full flavor- cinnamon apple and the surprise of the caramel glaze to put them over the edge.

IMG_9172

And in fact, I think the icing caramel may be my favorite part of this whole recipe. It's easy to whip together, taste the most delicious caramel home, but also hardens a little more time, like most glazes. This makes it a perfect thing to drizzle over cookies, cakes, donuts, etc. I have no doubt that I will use several times in the future. It would be amazing on these pumpkin cookies do not you think? Yum.

Print
Caramel Apple Scones
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 large apples, peeled and chopped (tart apples like granny smith are best.)
  • 1 cinnamon teaspoon
  • for scones:
  • 3 cups all purpose
  • ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon coffee baking soda
  • ½ c. salt
  • ½ cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt *
  • 1 cinnamon teaspoon
  • for glazing caramel:
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • ½ cup light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk or cream
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • sea salt pinch
  • ½ to ¾ cup sifted powdered sugar
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a carpet silpat
Prepare the apples.
  1. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add apples and cinnamon, and stir for 4-5 minutes while they cook and soften. Transfer apples to a bowl and place in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the scone dough.
  2. In the bowl of a mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add the butter and pulse until coarse crumbs form (a food processor also makes it very easy, or you can use your hands to break a little butter.)
  3. Stir in yogurt and apples until the dough comes together (do not over mix and use your hands if necessary to Smush all together- it is a dry pulp).
  4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form a long rectangular newspaper. Use a sharp knife to cut around the rectangle in half, then each half into scones triangular. (According Size- I did minis, you could make great too.)
  5. Place the scones a cooked on your prepared baking sheet, leaving about a half inch between the scones.
  6. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until cooked and no longer doughy in the middle. Let them cool for a few minutes-and then transfer to a cooling rack
To make the icing :.
  1. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Cook over medium-low heat for 1 minute.
  2. Transfer to a bowl and mix at medium speed the mixture to cool slightly. Add vanilla and ½ cup sifted powdered sugar.
  3. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. If necessary, add more milk or powdered sugar to get the right consistency. (I had half and half on hand, and I needed a little more to clear it.)
  4. Drizzle icing over warm scones.

adapted recipe: Recipe Girl

Advertiser