Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Bacon Egg & Cheese Breakfast Braid

Bacon Egg & Cheese Breakfast Braid -

breakfastpastry3
Life with a baby means meals are often thrown together without much thought. Lunch is especially the tree around here- I'm lucky if I get to scarf down a yoghurt with my morning coffee. All I can do to make advance preparation makes my departure all day on a good note. Freezer toaster oven is especially convenient that is one of the many reasons I love this recipe.

If I had to host a brunch party I wish it was front and center. It's all good: crispy, wholemeal bread crispy salted bacon, fluffy scrambled eggs, shredded cheddar cheese and in my case, some sauteed peppers. Of course it is customizable and would be wonderful with all other meats, cheeses, vegetables or herbs you have around.

BreakfastBraid

The dough of this delicious braid is in my opinion one of the best parts, made more light and fluffy because of the addition of powder dough to dry ingredients. I did not expect to make much difference but I certainly noticed. The finished product is light and crispy perfection.

BreakfastPastry2

Since I have not been hosting parts brunch too often these days, I saved most of the heat in individual portions. A few seconds in the microwave, followed by roasting in the furnace leads to the most perfect sharp edges and cheese melty inside. Little relieved that makes me the realization that I have some of that deliciousness to warm instead of having to deal with the breakfast. A little work on Sunday morning is helpful if for breakfast all week you do not like?

Print
Bacon Egg & Cheese Breakfast Braid
Ingredients
for the dough:
  • 1 (0.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 2½ cups flour bread
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup of hot water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons coffee white sugar
for the topping
  • 8 eggs, scrambled
  • ½ grated cheddar cheese cup
  • 1 small red pepper, diced
  • 8 slices bacon, cooked and broken into pieces
Topping:
  • 1 egg for brushing
  • sea salt for sprinkling
Instructions
for the dough:
  1. in a large bowl combine yeast, 2 cups bread flour, baking powder and salt. Stir, then add the oil and water. Use a spatula to mix until a shaggy dough has formed.
  2. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until a stiff dough has formed. Add adding ½ cup flour if the dough is sticky.
  3. Transfer dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean cloth. Place a warm place and let proof for 30 minutes or until puffy and doubled in size
To assemble :.
  1. When the dough as a test, put on a well floured surface, form the dough into an oval shape and drive about 12x15 inches. Place the rolled dough on a baking sheet before assembling.
  2. Divide the scrambled eggs in a band in the middle of the dough followed by bacon, peppers and grated cheese.
  3. Using a pizza cutter or pastry Roller- cut strips of inches thick on each side of the filling.
  4. to "braid" the breadwinner overlapping band on otherwise stretching each piece to seal the bottom.
  5. once the bread is a braided- brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sea salt.
  6. Transfer the parchment on a cookie sheet or pizza stone and bake 375F for 20-25 minutes, or until crust is golden and crisp. Slice and serve hot.
Notes
* I chose to fry the peppers for a few minutes in olive oil - I think they would be good anyway. Mushrooms are also delicious!

This product was developed for Clabber Girl baking powder, but the thoughts and opinions are always 100% my own!

Advertiser