Saturday, January 21, 2017

Lime Bars Nut creamy coconut Key

Lime Bars Nut creamy coconut Key -

Each year at this time, I began to have serious vacation fantasies. I think after about 3 months of cold my body just needs heat and sun and I dream of a sandy beach, a nice book, waves at my feet and a tropical drink. Now, anyone living near New York knows the days were much warmer than normal for January, but I still want a beach vacation! I'm getting married this year instead, so for now my dreams will be enough!

When I saw a cute bag of key limes in my grocery store last week, I knew they would be just the thing to brighten up those sad days. Key limes are in-season in the winter with all other citrus? I always thought they were a summer fruit, but I guess it makes sense that they would appear now. And maybe it's just their flavors that remind me of summer: crisp, light, tangy and refreshing

MG_54181 [(AllthethingsIlookforinagoodcocktailtropicalbeach)

This recipe is really wonderful. Coconut crust is crisp and sweet with just enough coconut flavor to offset tangled key limes. The filling is creamy and silky with the perfect amount of pie. A crumble crust on top and a dash of lime zest makes this perfectly balanced and satisfying bars. I made some changes to the original recipe of King Arthur flour, essentially doubling the amount of filling, as I wanted it to be thicker and the main bar. I also added a little lime peel for garnish and topping flavor. Yes- I obviously prefer those flavors in a frosted glass with a paper umbrella, but they have been around in a pinch. :)

Print
Lime Nut creamy coconut Key Bars
Ingredients
    [sucrebrun
  • ⅓ cup
  • ⅞ cup unbleached flour AP [1945018coco]
  • 1½ cup sweetened shredded, toasted *
  • ¼ c. salt
  • ¼ c. vanilla or coconut extract
  • ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cubed
  • Filling:
  • 1 8 oz cheese the package cream (low fat is fine), softened
  • 1¾ cups sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 c unbleached AP flour
  • 4 large eggs
  • ½ cup key Lime juice- about 24 key Limes (or regular lime juice)
  • zest of one lime
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a square 9x9 or 8x8 pan with parchment paper using two long pieces intertwined with couple of inches of overhang. This will allow you to easily lift the bars)
For crust :.
  1. Combine all crust ingredients in a bowl size medium or in the bowl of a food processor. Blend or process until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside ½ cup crumbs and press the remaining crumbs in the bottom of the pot
  2. Bake about 15 minutes, until golden brown
For filling: ..
  1. in a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until soft. Add sugar and salt and beat well mixed util.
  2. Add flour, then beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  3. Add the lime juice and zest mixture of smooth util. Pour over crust.
  4. Bake the bars for 15 minutes.
  5. Remove the bars from the oven and sprinkle with reserved crumbs and bake an additional 15 minutes or until the bars are fixed on the edges but still slightly wobbly in the middle.
  6. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. for 1 hour.
  7. For easier slicing, refrigerate for several hours. (I recommend the night)
Notes
* To toast coconut, place on a cookie sheet and spread in single layer. Bake in a 325 oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until the coconut is golden brown. I recommend you check after 5 minutes, stirring a little so that the edges do not burn.)
Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 12 bar

adapted recipe from: King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion

Advertiser