Friday, January 20, 2017

Strawberry Rhubarb Compote

Strawberry Rhubarb Compote -

IMG_76011

Last Saturday, Andy and I took our second CLASS- ballroom dancing hoping to get some moves before the big day. It was a total blast and then we wandered around downtown enthusiasm looking for a brunch place to sip Bloody Marys and review our choreography (just kidding, but not really.) On the way, I spotted the farmer's market at random and was dizzy when I saw rows and rows of farm fresh strawberries. I waited for a chance to buy a pint or two and now seemed like the day! So I took a quarter of the most perfect berries I could find and we went on our way.

After brunch we decided to do some shopping last minute, (including me get a new camera lens that I'm obsessed,) try to get last-minute tickets a show on B'way and Andy finally buy a wedding dress, (success!) Anyway, after 4 hours of shlepping around
city, my poor windows had seen better days. When I finally got home, they were pretty bruised and sad looking.

IMG_76091

Thus, with many of my hobs to crush them, I decided that I may as well cut them and cook them in more agitation something, understand and shattering can not hurt. Plus- I remembered that there were some green market rhubarb stalks waiting in my fridge, and I knew it was the perfect recipe to make.

In fact, I ended up using this amazing stewed in some small cakes that I will share on Friday, but I thought it was so stewed fresh, easy and delicious it deserves a post of its own . I loved with fluffy pancakes, but the uses for it are endless. It would be excellent swirled in some plain yogurt on toast, or even as a topping for ice cream! Mmmm.

Print
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
ingredients
  • 2 cups sliced ​​fresh strawberries
  • 2 cups diced fresh rhubarb- into small pieces
  • juice 1 tablespoon lemon
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Instructions
  1. Combine the rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice in 2-quart saucepan
  2. Cover. cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is
  3. tender (8-12 minutes). (Test a piece of rhubarb to make sure it is soft.)
  4. Mix ½ cup sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Incorporate fruits
  5. mixture. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to
  6. boiling (about 1 minute). Continue boiling until thick (1 minute).
  7. Once the mixture cooled, place it in the bowl of a food processor and blend until the lumps are broken, but not quite there pureƩ.
  8. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to a week.

Advertiser