Sunday, February 12, 2017

Brown Butter Marshmallow Bars Popcorn

Brown Butter Marshmallow Bars Popcorn -

IMG_2735

Since I was a little girl, I loved the Oscars. I always loved everything Hollywood and nothing was better than watching my favorite movie stars in their beautiful dresses, dreaming of being there one day myself. (Who knows if I'll ever get to attend the Oscars, but I held it once!)

IMG_2711

There Three years, my birthday fell on Oscar night, it seemed too perfect a coincidence not to host a birthday / Oscar extravaganza! It was complete with a red carpet, movie trivia, Oscar playing on several big screens and of course the cupcakes in red velvet. It was a blast, but I personally prefer to watch all my favorite stars from the comfort of my couch with snacks and an Oscar ballot. :)

IMG_2723

anyway, after the chocolate cake Malt crazy complicated Layer I shared on Monday, I wanted to give you a really easy recipe that was being as festive and appropriate for one of my favorite days! (Oscar night is like my Superbowl.)

IMG_2752

These bars are like Rice Krispies treats, but made with lightly salted popcorn crisp and the key ingredient- brown butter . The result is a sweet and salty treat that is both soft and crisp. They would be a perfect addition to the spread of an Oscar party do not you think?

Print
Brown Butter Marshmallow Popcorn Bars
Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • ⅓ cup popcorn kernels
  • sea salt to taste
  • [butter
  • 2 tablespoons
  • 2½ to 3 cups marshmallows
Instructions
First make the popcorn.
  1. Add the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add 3-4 unpopped popcorn kernels and cover
  2. when you hear these pop kernels, remove the pan the heat and add the remaining corn. Count to 30, then cover the pan and return to heat. Gently shake the pan back and forth on the fire until the popping sound died down. (It will not take long.) Leave the lid slightly open to allow steam output this will result in crispy popcorn.
  3. popcorn Sprinkle with sea salt and set aside.
  4. Place the butter in a large bowl in the microwave and cover with a plate. (You want something that is well and snug- gaps will result in a buttery mess.)
  5. microwave for 5 minutes. You will hear the sizzle of butter and pop as it turns brown. If after 5 minutes it yet- brown add a minute at a time until golden brown with brown spots.
  6. Carefully remove the (hot) bowl from the microwave and stir in marshmallows, coating them well with butter.
  7. Put the bowl back into the microwave and heat for 1 minute. Stir until the marshmallow mixture is thick and creamy.
  8. Add the popcorn mixture of marshmallow / butter and mix well to coat. Press into a greased 8x8 baking dish and sprinkle with sea salt.
  9. Wait 10-15 minutes, then cut into bars and serve!
notes
If you want your preference you can brown butter on the stove top. I love the microwave because I feel I have more control and less risk of burns. Either way is fine!

Advertiser