Thursday, July 21, 2016

Apple Spice Bread Crumb

Apple Spice Bread Crumb -

I have already mentioned that I really struggle with regularly eating breakfast. I am so rarely even a little hungry when I wake up first, so it's hard for me to go through the motions to fix something. Most of the time I have a coffee and then nothing until lunch. (Horrible I know.) It does not help that my husband's career revolves around fitness and nutrition, which means, basically, I'm married to the breakfast police.

I promised last week I cook something that I want so I eat in the morning. This bread is the perfect thing! Not only is easy to make and delicious, but the slices can be frozen individually so that I can just pop them in the toaster oven when I'm really lazy. (Which is daily.) I used half whole wheat flour and 4 whole apples, so I feel like I eat something relatively healthy too!

IMG_9422 This bread is absolutely responsible with juicy apples which makes it soft and melt in your mouth good. (And very opposite dry ... .. I can not say that the m-word.) The crumb topping adds just a bit of decline and is the perfect texture to make up the bread. I am a convert breakfast! (At least until bread is lacking ...)

Print
Apple Spice Bread Crumb
Ingredients
  • ½ vegetable cup oil
  • ½ brown sugar cup
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • flour 2 cups all-purpose (whole wheat can also be used.)
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt coffee
  • 1 c. vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ¼ ground c ginger
  • ⅛ c cloves
  • ½ cup buttermilk
  • 4 medium apples - peeled and cored. 2 of them chopped and grated 2.
  • crumb topping
  • ⅛ cup flour
  • ⅛ cup oatmeal
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons buttermilk cut into small pieces
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch pan bread.
  2. garnish Make crumbs by mixing all the ingredients, but the butter, then cut the butter with a knife until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Put aside.
  3. In a bowl, whisk together oil and sugars until smooth and creamy. Beat eggs and vanilla.
  4. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Mix in the sugar mixture. Stir in buttermilk to moisten. Stir in apples. Transfer to the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle topping of breadcrumbs.
  5. Bake 60 minutes in preheated oven with a baking tray on a lower rack to catch any over-flow. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing to rack to cool completely.
Notes
It always takes me a good 15 minutes to get a quick loaf cooked throughout. If after 60 minutes it still seems sticky, check in increments of 5 minutes.

loosely adapted recipe Recipes

Advertiser