Thursday, July 21, 2016

Vegan Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Fluffy Vegan

Vegan Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Fluffy Vegan -

IMG_8826

Throughout my year and a half of blogging, I received several readers requests asking for certain types of revenue. One that I have not done nearly a good enough job to follow through with the cooking is more vegan / dairy free treats. On any given day, I cooking basics on hand (eggs, butter, flour, etc.) to purchase special ingredients are not in the cards. But- vegan girlfriends do not turn 30 every day- so I knew I had to make my friend Emily something special.

IMG_8805

You may not believe me until you try, but chocolate cake is SO goodwill you'd never know it was dairy free. It is full of rich flavor of chocolate, moist, soft and perfectly crumbly. And best of all there are no weird / special ingredients so you can do it without any additional preparation.

IMG_8820

To assemble the cake, I used some of the techniques I have learned from my Milk Bar project Monday. I baked the cake in any quarter sheet pan, and stamped on the layers with a 6-inch cake ring. (I did not want the finished product to be too large.) The bottom layer was made of scraps smushed together, and everything was frozen for about an hour to help him stay strong while before I frosted it.

I wanted the cake to have a rustic feel, so I pour glaze over and simply sprinkled a few more crumbs on top. The frosting was creamy and delicious and the perfect counterpart to this cake. I will keep this recipe around for some time, and I think it would be nice cupcakes too. If you have a vegan friend or family member or if you just like really good chocolate cake, this recipe is a winner!

IMG_8824-2

PS Do you know how to make a cake topper cute flag like this? I post a how-to tutorial on Friday !!

Print
Chocolate Cake Vegan Fluffy Vegan Vanilla Buttercream
Ingredients
  • vegan chocolate cake with fluffy vegan vanilla butter
  • gives a pan sheet quarter cake
  • cake:
  • ingredients
  • 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • powder ¼ cup cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon of
  • salt
  • ⅓ cup vegetable oil
  • extract 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • frost
  • 1 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
  • 3½ cups powdered sugar, sifted so clumpy
  • 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a quarter of a sheet pan or saucepan 9x5 inch loaf
  2. Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Blend until smooth.
  3. Pour into pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes-or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool
For the icing :.
  1. Beat shortening until fluffy. Add sugar and beat for about 3 minutes.
  2. Add vanilla and soy milk, and beat for 5-7 minutes until fluffy.
notes
* Note- the original recipe is for a 9x5 pan bread and suggests to cook 45 minutes. Since my version is cooked in a pan thin, it will take much less time. I recommend taking a look at 20 minutes and then every few minutes if you need more time. My oven runs hot!

Recipe adapted recipes

Advertiser