Monday, July 11, 2016

Dark Chocolate Caramel Espresso Cookies

Dark Chocolate Caramel Espresso Cookies -

dark choc caramel cookies2

First thank you very much for the good wishes about the arrival of baby Hugo . I am so happy that I had several positions so prepared I did not have to worry about anything that hugs with my baby. I feel really well and get the hang of things-so I should be back in the kitchen soon! Also- stay tuned later this week for the story of the birth of Hugo! (To be found in the "updates" Baby sectional found on the top right button on the home page.)

On the biscuits: I not really look at the reality cooking shows too often, but when I do- I have to be honest- they terrify me. Maybe its because as a baker / cook I can imagine myself in the shoes of those competitors and have come up with something under a time constraint and it gives me the sweats. I'm high-pressure situations not a fan and I want to take my time to find recipes and flavor combos.

That being said ... last month when my neighbor Melissa had a birthday, I asked her what her favorite flavors in a dessert were. She said: dark chocolate, salted caramel and coffee and also said she loved "Milk Soak biscuits" - and the man I love the challenge of integrating all this in a special birthday gift

[1945002!] dark choc caramel cookies

Since she mentioned love cookies- I thought a soft chocolate chip cookie type with powder and pieces of caramel espresso ground would perfect (topped with sea salt flakes of course!) I find a similar recipe and changed slightly to meet his demands. Man oh man did they turn out well! These cookies were super soft and fluffy and full of so many wonderful flavors. The dark chocolate chips and espresso powder are a match made in heaven and of course Melty bit of caramel and sea salt just put them on top. Cut the caramels into small pieces is the only time some of this otherwise easy peasy recipe but confidence ME- its so worth it to taste that first bite sticky!

Print
Dark Chocolate Caramel Espresso cookies
Ingredients
  • 3½ cups all purpose
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt teaspoon of sea and more for sprinkling- (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons espresso powder
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • ¾ packed cup of brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1½ cups dark chocolate chips
  • 1 cup sweet caramel candy chopped
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350? F. Line baking mat with silicone baking sheets or parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars and cream on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
  3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract.
  4. Sprinkle the flour, espresso powder, baking soda and salt in the butter mixture and mix on low speed until just combined no streaks of flour-y. Use a spatula to fold the nuggets of chocolate and toffee bits.
  5. Use a cookie scoop or spoon about 2 tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheets *
  6. Bake for about 14-16 minutes or until set with the edges lightly browned, turning halfway through cooking pans.
  7. Leave to cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.
Notes
When scooping dough- if you see pieces of fudge on the bottom dough ball, they tend to become sticky and tacky and to store / transfer a little pain biscuits. I suggest to push them in the middle of the cookie and patch a little background with more dough to make things easier :)

Recipe adapted from Annie Eats via budding Baketress

Advertiser