Sunday, July 10, 2016

My Favorite Fruit Tart

My Favorite Fruit Tart -

tart3

Today, I make it a redo. I'll start doing more as there are some really fabulous recipes of my days start blogging deserve a little makeover and attention. I first made this fruit tart there are exactly 3 years and needed a little pick me up. At the time, I could not control the custard filling and I made a fortune instead. Well, I learned a bit in 3 years and I must say that it really is better with the real thing!

This is my favorite dessert. No seriously. I mean ...... I can say that many within this blog, but as a teenager and young adult at least, it was absolutely my favorite. Everyone in my family can vouch that I chose this place for a birthday cake every year from 14 until I moved to New York at 23. What is not to love a fruit pie? perfectly flaky butter crust ... ... and tart filling .creamy and refreshing fruit on top.

tart2

So far, however, my only hope was to eat what is business to an Italian bakery in the city or come back to that Milwaukee who served up these back in the day. For some reason making pies always seemed super-intimidating. They are like the Pie fancy step sister you agree? And as today (3/14) is "Pi Day" I thought a pie counted. It counts right? It turns making pies is in many ways easier than pie because you just mold the crust in the shell and call it a day. No decoration or fancy lattice called!

I also think it would be appropriate to share dessert today, because although I do not know about you- but I'm still in a brilliant summer phase. I'm desperate for the sun and until we get these types of desserts make me happy. It is the perfect type of fun for the warmer days, but as far as I am concerned there is never out of season for something so light and delicious!

tart

Print
My Favorite Fruit Tart
Ingredients
crust:
  • 1 cold stick of butter, cut into pieces
  • 1¼ cups flour
  • 1½ tablespoons sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • ⅛ cup of ice water
custard:
  • 2 cups milk
  • ¼ cup white sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup cornstarch
  • ⅓ cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
fresh fruit for Trim. (I used, strawberries, kiwi, mandarin oranges, raspberries and blueberries)
  • ¾ cup apricot jam (optional)
  • Baker Joy of Cooking Spray
Instructions
to make the pastry:
  1. In a food processor, combine flour and sugar for a few seconds. Add the butter and process for 20-30 seconds until coarse crumbs form. With the machine running add the yolk and ice water until the dough holds together. Forming a disk and wrap with plastic wrap refrigerate for at least an hour
  2. Lower wide enough batter to cover the base and sides of a 9-inch fluted tart pan sprayed with Joy Baker. cut edges; place the paper into pulp and fill with pie weights (or dried beans); bake 20-25 minutes at 375F. Remove the paper and beans and cook for 5 minutes; cool
For the custard :.
  1. In a heavy saucepan, combine milk and ¼ cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, egg, sugar and cornstarch. When the milk begins to boil, spread slowly into the bowl while stirring constantly so you do not cook the eggs. Return mixture to saucepan, stirring constantly until cream is thick and bubbling like lava.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into a heat resistant container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill before using
For enamel * :.
  1. Mix 2 tablespoons jam with water and heat in a small saucepan until it becomes thin and liquid. y
To assemble:
  1. Spread the pastry cream into cooled crust cooled
  2. Arrange fruit over filling .. (The fun part! !) using a brush, spread the glaze generously over the fruit to seal it in.
  3. Serve day to act as if you wait too long the colors may bleed berries over the filling and not look as pretty. Refrigerate leftovers!
Notes
* enamel is optional. I do not use it this time because I thought I had a little apricot jam, but actually did not. It adds a little extra sweetness and seal the result.

Crust recipe from Martha Stewart
Custard recipe All recipes

Adapted from the Recipe.

Advertiser