Saturday, July 23, 2016

Homemade Wheat Thins

Homemade Wheat Thins -

IMG_74671 I consider a fairly productive person. I like to get up early, get things done, and then get even more things. Now do not get my wrong, I can get lazy days like everyone else, but I usually try to make things happen from the start. But…. then there was yesterday. I had the strange urge to wheat Thins and cheese sandwiches. For some reason I just had to have that crisp cracker and slightly sweet that I could not get out of my brain.

IMG_7454

So- I went to my corner bodega thought they must have some and of course they do not. So- I had two options. 1- Walk a few blocks to the nearest grocery store and buy some or 2- Back up and find a way to make them myself. So yes- I'm so lazy that I prefer to make my own wheat Thins as walking a few blocks to buy them. Lazy but also some not?

IMG_74471

I have to say that they were so worth it, and also so easy, I do not see why I would never buy again. Wheat Thins are so specific, I was skeptical flavor that they would taste as good, but they really do. The dough comes together in minutes, they are baked and cooled in just a little more. Before you know, you may end up eating a stack of these in front of the TV watching Bachelorette this week. (Or maybe that's just me?)

IMG_74511

Print
Homemade wheat Thins
Ingredients
  • 1¼ cups (5 oz) whole wheat flour (I used whole pastry flour wheat)
  • 1½ tablespoons sugar
  • ½ teaspoon salt, a little more for garnish
  • ¼ teaspoon paprika
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • ¼ cup water
  • vanilla ¼ teaspoon
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 F. line baking two sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Add flour, sugar, salt and paprika in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the bowl. Then, using a pastry blender, two knives (or your hands) mix the butter into the dry ingredients until coarse and grainy. Mix water and vanilla in a small measuring cup. Add the butter / flour mixture and mix until smooth. If your dough is still dry, add a little more water.
  3. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Working with one piece at a time, keeping the others covered with a towel so they do not dry out. Lightly flour your work surface and a rolling pin and roll the dough into a large rectangle. Lift the dough and turn as you drive to make sure it does not stick. You want to roll the dough as thin as possible, try to ensure that it is 1/16-inch thick at most. If you want all your crackers perfect, trim the edges of the dough so that you have a rectangle with the same sides. Use a pizza cutter to cut the square into rectangle about 1 to 1½ inches wide.
  4. Transfer the pastry squares on baking sheets. You do not leave much space between crackers - they do not spread at all in the oven. Sprinkle lightly with salt square. Repeat the rolling process and cutting with the other 3 pieces of dough. Back up all your waste in the towel; reroll all together to create a final batch of crackers.
  5. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time, until crisp and golden, about 5-8 minutes. Check crackers 5 minutes, and if some of the thinner are browning too quickly, remove them to a plate and return the remaining crackers in the oven to finish cooking. They can burn quickly-so keep an eye on them! Once golden and crisp, transfer to a plate to cool. Store crackers in an airtight container.

Recipe adapted Culinary Adventures via Flour Cookbook Tracey King Arthur

Advertiser