Sunday, July 3, 2016

Irish Soda Bread traditional

Irish Soda Bread traditional -

IrishSodaBread2

First some quick business: tomorrow I run a shiny and new design blog! The transition is expected to happen tonight, so you may notice some downtime if you try to visit. (Print all the recipes you might need now!) I'm hoping is in place and working well tomorrow, but if not please be patient. I'm really excited about the new look I hope you like it too!

Ok- on bread ...

Since my first meeting with Andy 5 years ago, he always spoke so fondly about the trip he took with his mother in Ireland. He spoke of the beautiful countryside, the special moments he shared with his mother, and how they would share a loaf of Irish Soda for lunch. As I was looking for recipes to try for the day of St. Patrick's Day coming, I asked Andy how in the world he loved to eat this bread in Ireland since he hates grapes. Each loaf of soda bread that I've tried is dotted with raisins and caraway seeds, and I thought it was the authentic way to do it. He vowed that the stuff they ate was without raisins and I did not believe until I did some sleuthing of my own internet and figured out he was right! It is adding raisins, caraway seeds, and other mixing ins is a total American thing, and that authentic Irish version of the recipe is much simpler.

IrishSodaBread

I like the simplicity of this recipe is. It consists of only 4 ingredients that I'm usually on hand, which means that I can have a delicious loaf of bread ready and waiting whenever I want. Baking Soda flour-salt-Buttermilk. Who will know that it simply could result in such a perfect loaf of bread? With a taste almost like biscuit and crispy crust slathered us with some delicious salted butter, jam but a smear or a dunk in a bowl would be a perfect match as well. The bread is simple as can throw together and this rustic, country look that I really like. I am a total fan of baking bread with yeast, but this is by far the best I have something so fast! I'm glad I found this recipe just in time for St. Patty, but I know it will be a standard kitchen all year!

Print
Traditional Irish Soda Bread
Ingredients
  • 1 lb (3-1 / 2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour; more than necessary
  • ¾ c. baking soda
  • 1 c. salt
  • 1-1 / 2 to 1-3 / 4 cups buttermilk
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450F.
  2. Add flour, salt and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle of the mixture and pour 1 ½ cup buttermilk.
  3. Use a wooden spoon or your hands to mix the ingredients. You want the dough is Soft- not over mix. Add more buttermilk if necessary to get the dough to come together.
  4. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and give it a few knead and shape into a 6-inch diameter disc (approximately 2 inches tall.)
  5. Use a sharp knife to score a X on top of the bread (I did mine a little too deep as you can tell, you only need to cut a little.) Transfer to a baking sheet or pizza stone and bake for 15 minutes .
  6. Reduce heat to 400F and bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the bread sounds hollow when you tap it.
  7. Let bread cool slightly before slicing and slathering salted butter
notes
Recipe: fine cooking

Advertiser