Sunday, July 17, 2016

Make Macarons :. What I learned in Paris

Make Macarons :. What I learned in Paris -

macarons3

Ok prepare people for long. I discussed all the weekend how much information I macaroon share- but decided on it- all so here you go. I wanted to post this since the day I took my class Macaron in Paris a few weeks ago, but waited to collect information from my attempts at home to do before sharing what I know with you . Let me start by telling you this- making it perfect macs is much easier in a huge kitchen classroom with all the ingredients pre-measured, weighed and sieved with a professional pastry chef at the bar in a tiny kitchen while alone. However, I am now made these two since he arrived at home, using two slightly different methods, and I feel good about sharing what I learned with you. My teacher in Paris answered many questions that I thought both you guys (and I) may, so I understand this too!

I took my class from a good cooking school in Montmarte called Cookin 'with class. Classes are taught in English, and subjects will make macarons, croissants, baguettes and other French desserts. Briony, the pastry chef who taught our class was wonderful and very knowledgeable. (I felt like a student more annoying if, as I literally asked after each step she explained What can I say. I wanted to have a thorough knowledge of this stuff! )

IMG_4155

method we learned was version "meringue", which consists of a sugar syrup that gets poured into white egg to create a very stable foam. Although this process can be a little harder, I love giant step better than "French Meringue" method I've tried in the past. The sturdy foam results in a much more coherent cookie, and I desperately need to know that if I put all the work in these they will turn out well. We did three different flavors of macs and they turned out very nicely if I do say so myself. Mine at home are not quite as perfect, but I'm getting there!

If you are all familiar with macaroon training-you know there are some schools of thought when it comes to a few different (slightly long) factors. My class has taught us to basically do all of them. I'll give you the run down:

-Start by the aging of your egg whites 24-48 hours. Strain the seive with a fine mesh to get rid of any strange bits- globby resulting in the pure liquid egg whites. (This results in a smoother, shinier buttons.)
-Triple sift your flour-almond throw the larger pieces. Then double sift the almond flour with powdered sugar.
-LET macaron shells sit on the counter for a 30- hour to develop a shell before cooking.
-Bake with a wooden spoon in the oven to keep the door slightly ajar and reduce moisture as possible.

Whew. Right? I mean are many details. Are you completely put out Macarons never look after that?

I came home and did exactly that kind of stuff. Each last bit thereof. (Well actually, I do my no- sifted almond flour once. I could not do it 3 times.) The macaroons were found to be good, maybe not as smooth and shiny as in Paris (my fault for jumping the 2nd and 3rd powder.)

IMG_4148

I could not help but wonder if all these steps were really neccesary. I remember seeing the position of Annie about the recipe for meringue cap MACS (which does not require any of this) So- I tried this version yesterday to compare my results.

Truth be Told- they proved almost exactly the same. No egg white aging or force, not sifting flour, etc. There were two things I want to keep the first version- just because it worked better for me, but in all I think the simpler the recipe is usually the way to go. my shells were also smooth and shiny like I was doing in the photo class above? Would not if I was doing all the things suggested Briony? Probably- but I do not mind that much. I still think they look pretty and taste.

This is in fact the recipe that we used in my class, but actually the easiest way. My friend Jessica came while I was recently broke and some pictures of the process to help give a visual of how it went down. (Do not mind my makeup free self pajamaed.)

I only give the recipe for the tanks themselves, because there are endless opportunities for fillings. In class, we did, salted caramel, blackberry and chocolate passion. At home, I filled mine with a simple vanilla pastry cream and some with salty caramel topping. You can use any kind of ganache, jam, preserves, curds or butter. (Although many macaroons I had in Paris stay away from the heavy flavor buttercreams- more can be achieved with a ganache or strong fruit preserves.

I hope this is helpful. At the bottom of post-after recipe, I have included some FAQs, Tips and troubleshooting topics that may also be useful!

sally-9

Screening almond meal. I suggest do at least once weeds few lumps lumpy.

sally-10

There my kitchen riquiqui! And me check the sugar syrup temperature.

sally-11

carefully pour the syrup in a steady stream. You want to aim where the egg whites meet the bowl so it does not cool too much before whipped.

sally-12

bowl to cool slightly before the meringue is ready.

sally-13

Stiff and brilliant!

sally-15

folding.

sally-18

Piping- keep your bag stright up and down. Small dots peaks will disappear on their own if your dough was mixed enough.

Print
Basic Macaron Shells
Ingredients
  • 300 grams almond meal (or ground blanched almonds.) sieved.
  • 300 grams sugar-sifted powdered
  • 110 grams of egg white
  • [sucreblanc
  • 300g
  • 75 grams of water
  • 110 grams of egg white
Instructions
  1. in a large bowl, whisk together the meal of sifted almond powder and sugar break lumps or chunks.
  2. Make a well in center of bowl and pour 110 g egg whites in. Fold them gently until the mixture is well combined, thick and pasty.
  3. place Meanwhile- 110 others g egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk. Let be while you make the syrup.
  4. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water together and stir until dissolved. Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan.
  5. When the syrup reaches 225 degrees F drummer turn up and start whipping eggs. You want them to be at the stage of soft tip, so as soon as they turn the low speed. Egg whites can expect the syrup- but once the syrup is ready, it can not wait.
  6. When the syrup reaches 239 degrees- pour carefully into the side of the bowl while the mixer is running. You do not want to run the syrup on the bowl or it will be COOL aim to pay right where egg whites are found on the side of the bowl.
  7. high temperature whisk for about a minute- then reduce speed to low and continue beating until the bowl has cooled slightly, and shiny stiff peaks have formed.
  8. Add ½ of the meringue almond mixture, and fold gently until combined and smooth. Gradually add the remaining meringue until dough is smooth and almost strips off the spoon.
  9. If you want to divide the dough and add the gel stain in whole / part this is the time. After adding a little color, continue to fold until the dough is smooth, shiny and totally ribbons spoon.
  10. Fill the piping bag with a round tip and preheat the oven to 300F.
  11. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper. If your oven has a strong fan- you may want to paste points pipes on the corners to paste the parchment down. OR- you can weigh it down with butter knife along the edges.
  12. small pipes tours with the bag perpendicular to the hob. You will need to develop a rhythm that works for you so that your Macs are similar in size. I want to rely on built-in "1, 2, 3 release."
  13. That macs welt sitting until a trace of a shell is formed- 20-30 minutes will DO- maybe less. This will keep their shape during cooking.
  14. bake for about 12 minutes. To test whether fait- open the furnace and Wiggle top of a front cover and back. If it is super "wiggly" they need more time. perfect Macs will be just a little firm but overall wiggly-.
  15. When finished, remove the parchment sheet and let cool for 5 minutes on the counter. Gently peel off parchment paper and let cool completely before filling.
  16. Macarons taste better when "matured" in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours, but can last in the refrigerator sealed in air for one week.

FAQ:

Can I use a silicone baking mat instead parchment? Briony said no- the dough does not stick to the silicone and it tends to spread more.

Can I use liquid egg whites? No - never. The preservatives used to give them a long life does not bode well for macs.

Do I need a stand mixer? Yes- I wish the answer was Non- Recipe- but for this you need the egg whites to move into their own while you pour the syrup. Maybe it would work if you had help in the kitchen-but I had an epic fail try it with a hand blender.

This is a great recipe that I cut it in half? I do not think so reducing the amount of egg whites whip attachment mean your can not reach to whip them into a meringue. UPDATE: While some of you pointed out that you have successfully halved this awesome Recipe-! I'll try again, even if I did not have a chance. Read reviews for some tips on how to help your whisk attachment reach.

My shells are hard and crunchy- do this for? This is your lucky day- it is better to over cook your shells that under-cooking. They will soften after filling and they ripen in the refrigerator.

Should I use a kitchen scale? Yes- I really think the weight for volume measures is the way to go. They are really better when everything is accurate.

Tips:

It may be tempting to try to perfume the shells much to do that you will profit some flavor but I did not really do suggest. (Although I will share the chocolate shells a day later.) You'd be amazed at the strength of a flavor the filling can give all witness once it has matured. Test it and give them a taste tight away and then after 48 hours- flavor garnish really comes through!

Everything that touches the egg whites should be clean as a whistle. A trace of oil or dirt on your whip or a mixing bowl mess up your meringue. Also- yes- even the smallest trace of yellow can be a disaster.

The humidity is the death of macaroons. Do not try these on too humid day or your shells can crack or develop feet!

PS Having already planned to make them, Lindsay announced that Macarons where the "cooking challenge" for April. How perfect for me because I want to participate as soon as I can!

Advertiser