Sunday, August 14, 2016

3 Bean Turkey Chili with Cornbread Skillet

3 Bean Turkey Chili with Cornbread Skillet -

Chili3

Yesterday marked one of my favorite days as least favorite of the year football season start. Now do not reprehensible I really and truly take me football and I will not miss a single game Packers if I can help it, but the joy of rooting for my favorite team means saying goodbye to my husband up at the beginning of February. (This is also the time of our baby is due- just watch me go into labor on Superbowl Sunday!)

chili2

Although Andy likes to do a whole day watching football, I decided to stick to my game alone and spend the rest of the day in the kitchen. I like to have friends to watch, especially because it gives me a good excuse to whip up a humungous pot of chili with fixings that we can enjoy throughout the day. Usually I have the pot before starting the 1:00 games, and we are feasting on it in the evening and often throughout the week.

chili5

This seems to be a good balance for me. I get a taste of my favorite sport, while nourishing our friends and family and get often talk to some members of the group in the kitchen while they fix their plates. It seems that some of the wives and girlfriends do not mind missing out on some of the frenzy of football to talk with me in the kitchen-I often feel like it is the hub of the afternoon . I always have cheese dishes and sour cream, sometimes when I can find a lawyer ripe, green onions, hot sauce and of course a big bowl of crispy fried tortillas. I like to eat my bowl right in the kitchen while getting fed all the world with the amazing soundtrack Andy cheering in the background (or scream at the TV in a way angry.) This is often my part Sunday- preferred to serve comfort food plates being any hostess ahead and let the fresh air blowing in fall.

chili

This pepper is one of my favorite things to cook because you basically throw everything to the pot and simmer away. It is completely adaptable, and no matter what ingredients we have or do not have- it always proves as good. I like that I can do the preparation before our guests arrive and then just serve and enjoy! What makes it even better is a slice of crispy skillet corn bread on the side. Andy's mother gave me there recipe of the month and I've been dying for a chance to use it. Andy likes to empty his chili right on top corn bread and mix well. I can not do it often in the kitchen to hang with me, but I do not mind to bring him a bowl of chili the way he likes it when he gets to enjoy the day's football. I actually had a line on our wedding vows about it so I'm sticking to it !! ;) Football Season is here! This Sunday we will be eating this chili while I get to watch the Packers (my team) beat the 49ers !! (. The team of Andy) If my team happens to lose, you can look for me to cry in the kitchen over a bowl of this;)

Print
3 Bean Turkey Chili
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • [1945023oignon] ½ medium chopped
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 chopped green peppers
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 (4 ounces) chopped green chilies cans, drained *
  • 12 oz ground turkey
  • 3 (28 ounces) whole peeled tomato cans, crushed
  • powder ¼ cup chili
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 1 (15 oz) can beans, drained
  • 1 (15 oz) chickpeas, drained
  • 1 (15 ounces) black beans
Instructions
  1. heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat 5-7 qt. Stir in the onion, and add the bay leaves, cumin, oregano and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in celery, peppers and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the ground turkey, cooking until golden.
  2. Add tomatoes into the pot. Season with chili powder pepper and black pepper. Combine all beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 45 minutes. Serve with sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, avocado pieces or corn if desired.
Notes
* sometimes I can 't find chopped green chilis at my grocery store, but you can easily under these for real green chilis or even those spicy chipotle.

This entire recipe is extremely adaptable. I made vegetarian with the help of vegetables disintegrates instead of meat or even chopped chicken or beef if it's what I have on hand. The beans are as easy to change to other varieties if you wish. I play with the spicy chili my function just on eating, Andy loves Super spicy- some of my friends- not much- adjust the heat as you like, or just serve it with a bottle hot sauce!
Print
Skillet Cornbread
Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and separated
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 Tblsp canola oil
  • 1 ½ cup buttermilk
  • 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese (grated)
  • 2 cups corn kernels (frozen - completely thawed)
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 ½ cup corn
  • 1 baking powder tablespoon of
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • ⅓ cup sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
Instructions
  1. cream 4 tablespoons butter in a blender until smooth, beat in eggs one at a time. Add the buttermilk, oil, cheese and corn
  2. Mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and mix them into the wet ingredients ⅓ both - .. Mix thoroughly but not over mix
  3. Heat 10-inch iron skillet melt on top of the stove and melt the remaining butter 2 tablespoons in it. roll pan to cover the bottom and sides. Add the corn bread mixture into the hot pan and place immediately in the oven. Bake at 350F 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

This post is part of the kitchen Entertaining the BlogHer series, made possible by KitchenAid.

Advertiser