Saturday, August 13, 2016

Turnovers Autumn apples

Turnovers Autumn apples -

turnovers3

During the weekend, I finally made it to apple picking with my sister and bro-law. It was a perfect autumn day with a steady breeze, tons of beautiful foliage, a beautiful apple orchard with hills and apple cider donuts galore. We collected the last of the apples of the season, enjoyed the blue grass of live music, and devoured thigh turkey barbecue and we got food stalls nearby. (My sister also took some pictures of motherhood that I will share in the baby section of the blog tomorrow!)

turnovers2

The next day, I returned home with an apple package and no inspiration of what to do with them. A flip-flop through my favorite cookbook King Arthur Flour reminded me that fabulous Quick Puff Pastry I learned to do when visiting their classrooms last spring. figure Apple's business seemed to treatment at the end of perfect morning along the side of a cup of tea so I got right to work.

I am always amazed at the ease and beautiful puff pastry is work with. I whipped this up in no time and before I knew it I had delicious warm pastries to offer my neighbors and scarf down myself. (I had a two for the baby, of course.) The filling is full of hot spices of fall and tart apples I brought home orchard was just perfect.

turnovers

Fall-please go on forever ok ?? :)

Print
Autumn Apple Turnovers
Ingredients
  • I lot of Quick Puff *
  • 3 apple pie bake (Granny Smith, Fuji are all good or Cortland) peeled and chopped into ½ inch dice.
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg coffee
  • pods
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground
  • 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • + 1 egg white 1 tablespoon of water to glaze
  • of sparkling or coarse sugar for sprinkling
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine apples with spices, sugar, vinegar and flour and stir to coat. Set aside,
  3. Divide the dough in half, only work with one piece at a time.
  4. Roll dough into a 10x10 square, then cut it into 4 small 5x5. Place some ¼ cup filling in center of each square. Use a pastry brush dipped in a little water to moisten the edges of the square and fold diagonally into a triangle, using a fork to crimp the edges to seal.
  5. Place the sealed triangles in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and repeat the rolling / fill / folding the other half of the dough. (If you have enough counter space to deploy at once by all means do it, I found it easier to work in 2 batches.)
  6. Brush triangles with every washing egg white and use a small knife to make a small steam vent in each turnover. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar or coarse.
  7. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy hot or room.
Notes
* I think everyone should try to make this quick puff pastry for themselves because his so Easy but store bought puff also work! :)

Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour

Advertiser