Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Shells creamy cauliflower and cheese

Shells creamy cauliflower and cheese -

Creamy Cauliflower Shells and Cheese

I can not believe how long it's been since I posted a new recipe here. I feel sad and guilty about it, knowing that this is my own space to do what I choose, feeling like my cooking mojo was on vacation and I just want him back if you please. I think this is due in part to long summer days when turning on the oven feels like a chore, and an energetic little boy who prefers to be in the playground all day than playing at home while I bake. Sometimes I really wonder how many mothers keep their food blogs so much better than me. If there is a secret to this please let me know. More on this in a future post, but I am optimistic that with the crisp autumn air will come my excitement of being in my kitchen again. I am always most inspired pumpkin, apples, pears and all cozy and warm food that brings people together. Stick with me friends- I'm on the up and I promise.

Ok, now for the moment and this simple dinner, I whip Hugo the other day. I was not planning originally to photograph or share it, as I have already Pumpkin Mac & Cheese and Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese, but I thought most toddlers friendly meals the best quality, the more Andy & super delicious and I loved her too. Every time I eat a cruciferous vegetable cream without sacrificing my mac & cheese texture is a win-win for me.

Creamy Cauliflower Shells and Cheese

Like the other recipes, this one is to make mashed cauliflower that gets folded into a cheese sauce. In fact, I added all of cauliflower to the cause of the prepared cheese and used my favorite blender to puree until smooth and silky. (If you do not have one of those things you need to get a cheap and one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.)

The sauce tossed with pasta and all reflection is cooked for a the little bubbly cheese action. (Totally optional but I still like baking me for a few minutes.) I sprinkled some toasted panko on top for a little crunch and there you have it. Hugo has engulfed it for dinner the last three nights!

There you have it- I hope to be back with something fabulous soon!

Print
creamy shellfish cauliflower and cheese
Ingredients
  • pasta, cooked al dente and drained. (I used shells, but any kind will do)
  • 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons tablespoons flour
  • 3 cups of milk
  • 2 white cheddar cheese cups grated
  • ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. In a large pot of salted water, boil until the cauliflower flower super soft, about 7 minutes. Drain and reserve.
  2. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter. Add flour and whisk constantly until golden brown. Gradually add the milk and stir until smooth and thickened consistency (about 5 minutes).
  3. Add grated cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until smooth and creamy.
  4. Using a food processor or blender, puree the cauliflower until smooth ,. Or, put the cauliflower pieces directly into the cheese sauce and use an immersion blender to puree the sauce.
  5. Stir in cooked pasta, tossing to coat.
  6. Turn the sauce / pasta dish in a baking 8x8. Top with a little freshly ground pepper and if you bake for 10 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
  7. While cooling, toast panko in a medium skillet with a little olive oil, stirring frequently until golden brown. Sprinkle over pasta and enjoy!

Advertiser