Sunday, September 25, 2016

Blood-Orange Yogurt Cake with honey whipped cream

Blood-Orange Yogurt Cake with honey whipped cream -

MG_50721

There a month ago I did a print job in New Jersey. After completing the shooting with the little ones- the crew got up for lunch. I was lucky to have to eat a bowl of leftovers and a slice of cake the best I've had in ages. The head that met the meal and baked the cake was named Sylvia and we had a chance to chat while she gave me a ride to the station at the end of the day. I am his email and said that I keep in touch to exchange recipes and tips. Although it was not long before I insisted to get the recipe for the cake I honestly dreamed since that day. Something about it was so light and tasty and perfect, I could not wait to recreate!

MG_50601

What surprised me most in reading the recipe was simple cake was actually! The ingredient list is super short and it is a perfect "last-minute-customers-are-coming-over" dessert. Yogurt gives the finest texture and glaze honey whipped cream is just perfect. Sylvia hers made with Meyer lemons, but I thought I'd try another beautiful citrus to see how he was adaptable. I loved both versions and I also think it would be excellent with limes or grapefruit. (Though I must say, the cake probably would have shot the same that I had used regular oranges. Well these are prettier!)

MG_51051

What is interesting to About Sylvia recipe is that it uses the yoghurt container 6 oz that the measuring device for the entire recipe. Yup- is true. No measuring cups required! 6 oz cup is 5/8 (or 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons) feel free to use instead, but to stay with the version I'm using the "units" instead of cups.

Print
blood orange yogurt cake with honey whipped cream
Ingredients
  • 3 car units raise flour
  • 2 sugar units
  • 1 unit yogurt (I used vanilla yogurt, I also added a teaspoon vanilla extract right into it)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 blood oranges, both in juice, zest
  • 1 unit of safflower oil (oil plant is also very good)
  • whipping cream 1 cup
  • 1 tablespoon of honey (I used orange blossom honey,)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. in a large bowl, combine the yogurt, oil, zest and juice and whisk until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, add the sugar and flour in 3 parts slowly.
  3. Spray 9-inch round cake pan, add parchment paper down
  4. Pour batter into pan and smooth the top.
  5. Bake at 350 for half an hour and 325 for another 10-20 depending on your oven
  6. Let cool and turn the cake plate.
  7. When the cake is completely cooled, whip the cream and add the honey. Frost and serve! Enoy!
Notes
1 unit = a container 6 oz yogurt or ⅝ cup (or ½ cup + 2 tablespoons )

chief Recipe adapted Sylvia Bors

Advertiser