Thursday, September 15, 2016

Classic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Classic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie -

rhubarb2

As a child, my family was really Sam's Club. With five children at home, the bulk purchasing was the only option, and I loved go with my father on Saturday morning to supply. There was Samples- oh Samples- that used a meal in themselves, and also a lot more fun and "junk-foody" that the food I normally had to eat. On our way out was the huge fish tank and the "fall of the quarter in the tiny bowl and win a hot dog" play. My father was aces that young and almost always won us something- that did all the trip that much more exciting.

I have a vivid memory of the circular screen that was near the exit of the store, where I would normally be waiting for my father paid for the large basket of things. We never bought because my mother was a great baker (and I'm sure she would not approve the list of ingredients.) But come summer, I always looked rhubarb strawberry with curiosity charges. what was this odd ingredient that I had never heard of? I waited for the day, they sold a strawberry pie just for me to beg my father to buy but I had no interest in the rhubarb was. I stuck my hand trying (and failing) to win free hot dogs for my sisters.

rhubarb

The funniest part of all is that now I'd probably call this my favorite pie of all time fruit. Why did it take me some 20 years of my life to finally try? Food blogging has opened my eyes to rhubarb like something I used to be weirded out by, but now really and truly love. The combination of tartness and sweet berries is just my favorite thing. Flaky- associated with all-butter crust, it really is summer dessert perfection.

The key to making a fruit pie is to find a way to thicken the filling. There are many options, but the ones that work best for me are pearls of tapioca and instant Clear Gel. Both can take some planning to have in your kitchen, I know, and in the case of this pie, I decided spur of the moment to do so I use tapioca flour as a thickener instead. The result was an especially thick padding with a little juiciness, but I could not eat the juicy liquid strawberry-rhubarb with a spoon and I'd be a happy woman. This is one of the simplest and delicious pies I've ever miss and loads better than Sam's Club that I can guarantee! :)

Print
Classic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Ingredients
  • 1 pie recipe
  • 3½ cups chopped rhubarb
  • 3½ cups sliced ​​strawberries
  • 1 juice tablespoon lemon
  • white sugar
  • ½ cup
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ cup tapioca flour *
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tablespoons cut butter unsalted into small pieces
  • cream for brushing on top of the crust
  • of raw sugar for watering
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a well floured against, roll half the pastry into a 12-inch circle and transfer to a 9 inch pie plate. (I roll the crust on my rolling pin to help me move it to the pie dish.)
  2. In a large bowl, combine the berries, rhubarb, sugar, lemon salt and flour tapioca. Pour the filling into the bottom crust. Dot with pieces of butter. Roll out the top crust into a 12-inch circle and either make a lattice top or a simple double crust. Seal the edges and crimp decoratively as desired. Brush the crust with cream and sprinkle with raw sugar.
  3. Bake for 20 minutes at 400 and then reduce heat to 350 for 25 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
  4. Let pie cool for several hours before cutting, filling not thicken as it cools. (Difficult to be patient, I know.) The pie can be cooked the night before serving.
Notes
* Other options include instant tapioca thickener or a clear gel, cornstarch can be used, but the filling will not be as thick.

adapted recipe from Smitten Kitchen

Advertiser