Thursday, September 15, 2016

Creme Brulee Crepe cake

Creme Brulee Crepe cake -

Creme Bruleé Crepe Cake

It took me a few days, grumpy jet lag, but I finally returned to me in the kitchen room! After two weeks of eating everythng in sight, I could not find inspiration to do more candy. (Until yesterday that is.)

I woke up at dawn (which was the norm as I work my way back to New York time), and since Andy and I did not have much planned for Easter, I had the sudden desire to make pancakes. After being in Paris, I'm dying to try my hand on them, but honestly thought it would be a very difficult recipe, I would need many trials to master. It turns out I was wrong! I found them a breeze to Make- which was the assembly of this simple cake that can be (even if it seems fancy and complicated.)

Creme Bruleé Crepe Cake Have -you already had cake pancakes? There is a famous version of the Lady M bakery here in New York I'm obsessed. It melts in your mouth, not too sweet and is so light and airy it is (almost) guilt-free! My favorite part of Lady M version is the crisp bruleéd top- so I made sure to include that in my cake (although the recipe I used did not mention it.)

Creme Bruleé Crepe Cake

all this beauty is simple as well, just spreading a cream filling in the pastry / pancake whipped cream between the layers. Bruleéing top is completely optional: and if you do not have a kitchen torch, a pinch of powdered sugar would be great too. After a brief cooling period for all SEt- it is ready to be devoured!

Creme Bruleé Crepe Cake

Now that I know how easy pancakes are really do (I think non-stick pan with raised edges is the key. I used it.) I can not wait to try more recipes- crepe both for cakes and just for a fun and versatile breakfast. (Nutella and banana filling was my favorite in Paris!) Would not this cake is so beautiful with thin slices of strawberries between layers? Curd or lemon? This is not the last pancake cake you see me I can promise you!

PS I am always change Italy pictures, but I'll share them every day now. :)

Print
Creme Brulee Crepe cake
Ingredients
  • Crepe Batter (see recipe below)
  • Pastry cream filling (see recipe below)
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Crepe Batter:
    butter
  • 6 tablespoons melted
  • 3 cups of milk
  • 6 eggs
  • all-1½ cup flour
  • 7 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • Pinch salt
custard filling:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon hot water
Instructions
first make the pastry cream:
  1. In a small bowl, add egg, flour, sugar , cornstarch and; whisk until smooth.
  2. In a saucepan over low heat, bring the milk almost to a boil (simmer). Immediately remove from heat and slowly whisk in the egg mixture.
  3. Return all ingredients in saucepan and whisk constantly for about 5 minutes, until thickened and bubbly like lava.
  4. Remove from heat. Add the vanilla extract and hot water; stir until dissolved into the mixture.
  5. Refrigerate mixture until thick and fresh texture. (3 hours and a half hour in the freezer and 1½ hours in the refrigerator.)
For Crepe Batter:
  1. In a small saucepan, heat the milk until 'to smoking; remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
  2. In a large bowl using your electric mixer on low speed, mix the eggs, flour, sugar and salt. Slowly add the hot milk and melted butter. Pour batter in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours
To make the crepes (or overnight.)
  1. Remove the crepe prepared Batter from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature:
  2. Prepare a few sheets of parchment paper to cool the finished pancakes. (You do not want to stack directly over the other, but with a layer of parchment them will be OK.)
  3. Use a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. (I must not add oil to mine, because it may be very non-Stick- but you will.) Pour about 3 tablespoons of the pancake batter into the pan and stir to cover the surface of the pan. Cook for about 1 minute or until the bottom of the crepe is lightly browned. Use a spatula to help lift the edge, then use your clean fingers to gently and carefully turn the pancake and cook for 15-20 seconds. Remove the cooked crepe and place on parchment to cool.
  4. Repeat this process until you have 20 perfect pancakes. (If their sizes are slightly different is OK, but you want them to be round without tears.)
  5. When the custard is cold and firm, making whipped cream by beating heavy cream until to stiff peaks, fold in 1 tablespoon of sugar, then stir the custard. (. If the custard seems too strong before adding whipped cream, beat with mixer for one minute to loosen up)
To assemble the cake:
  1. Place a crepe prepared on a large cake plate.
  2. with a small spatula, completely cover the crepe with a thin layer of pastry cream mixture (about ¼ cup).
  3. cover with another dry pancake and repeat covering pastry cream until you reach 20 layers. Save the best pancake in search of the layer 20 (top).
  4. Refrigerate prepared cake for 1-2 hours. Sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons of sugar and use a kitchen torch to top Brûlée. (Or sprinkle with powdered sugar) Allow the cake to come to room temperature before slicing and eating.
Notes
Recipe adapted from Ellen Easton's version of the famous Lady M Cake via: What simmering America

Advertiser