Saturday, September 17, 2016

No-Knead Crusty Artisan Bread

No-Knead Crusty Artisan Bread -

Crusty No-Knead Artisan Bread

Even if I did it a few times, homemade bread was always something I put in the "doable but time." It is something I have conquered, but to everyday- I have not often the energy to deal with dinner and bread homemade on the side. Although this recipe has really changed my perspective on bread forever! it literally takes 5 minutes to prepare the dough, it is at night, and cooked in no time.

No-Knead Crusty Artisan Bread

It is possible that you have seen a version of this recipe before. My Mother-in-law made a couple of different batches when we visited recently, and since I l 'have had on the brain. If this concept originate? Who knows. I mean making bread from scratch, but the flour, yeast, salt and water must be an old concept right? Around the same time my MIL sent me his recipes, I found a great post with a tutorial via Pintrest almost the exact same recipe. I knew it was time to see how easy it really was to make bread. Because really- how that perfect golden, crusty bread could be so simple? I presented the following process:

nokneadcrustybreadprep5

The four ingredients (flour, yeast, salt and water) are combined in a large bowl and simply stirred together.

nokneadcrustybreadprep4

No mixing is needed, and the goal is here, a shaggy dough disorder that is covered with plastic wrap, and allowed to stand on your counter overnight . (8-18 hours).

nokneadcrustybreadprep3

After the time has passed, the dough will look puffy and bubbly, and will be slightly sticky to the touch.

Crusty No-Knead Artisan Bread

Turn the dough onto a floured surface and shape into ball.

Crusty No-Knead Artisan Bread

After the oven (Dutch oven) have pre -heated- in bread dough GOES to cook for 30 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered to brown and crisp the top. Covering your Dutch oven for baking creates a torrid affect, making the perfectly soft inside while creating a perfect, golden, crust.

No-Knead Crusty Artisan Bread

Remove from the oven, I mean come on ... It's easy! There are many options for mix-ins and different flavor with this recipe, and I promise to share the gems I discovered along the way.

No Knead Crusty Artisan Bread

* No Dutch oven? I did a little research on the subject, and it seems can still get crusty bread without one. Any pot covered heatproof will do, as long as all handles / knobs are safe to be heated to 450F. The cover is what really blocks the steam and creates the perfect texture. Here is a great forum on alternative options.

(Another method that my MIL also used, involves a steam room on the bottom shelf while bread baked on a stone pizza pan or baking. Put a pan or baking dish in oven while it is preheating and just before sunrise to carefully pour a cup of hot water into it. Close the oven door quickly and let the steam do is thing!)

Print
No-Knead Crusty Artisan Bread
Ingredients
  • 3 cups flour purpose
  • 1½ cups warm water
  • 1-2 teaspoon sea salt
  • ½-1 teaspoon baking powder *
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt and yeast. Add water and using a wooden spoon, stir together until the mixture resembles a shaggy dough.
  2. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 8-18 hours. Dough will bubble up and rise.
  3. After dough is ready, preheat oven to 450 F.
  4. Turn the dough on a well floured surface and with floured hands form the dough into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rest.
  5. While the dough rests, put your Dutch oven in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
  6. After the 30 minutes are carefully remove the Dutch oven and with floured hands to place the dough in it. (You can put a piece of parchment as if your Dutch oven does not have an enamel coating.)
  7. Replace the lid and bake for 30 minutes covered. Then remove the lid and bake for 15 minutes uncovered. Pain will be golden, crispy and delicious!
Notes
* I used a full teaspoon of yeast because I like the flavor in the bread. ½ teaspoon work as well if you do not!

I like the salt of a Lot- I added up to 3 teaspoons of this recipe and it was great!

recipe from my Mother-in-Law with much help from this post Simply So Good.

Advertiser