Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies -

WWChocChips

With Mother's Day just around the corner, I thought a lot about my own mom, and what my life is like now that I have babies. I mentioned several times how my mother was a bit of a health nut, something I really enjoy and can relate to now that I have children of my own. We are sugary cereal for dessert, she fed us organic, healthy food before this stuff was still hip and baked goods has always made the whole grain flour, natural sugars, etc. Now here's a minor confession, (sorry mom), while I loved you when we bake cookies with chocolate chips, I really liked. See once I tasted "real" chocolate chips, the healthy version just does not cut it.

Once I got into cooking, I had a bit of resistance subbing too many ingredients with healthier for the same reason. I know what good chocolate chip taste and I just could not cope with the dry sound to taste. Then I had a small child ... a child who finally knows what chocolate chips and cookies and are going nuts for them. I feed as healthy as I can, but sometimes I just want to cook something with him I do not feel guilty to let him try. Enter these cookies.

WWChocChipCookies2

Cookies are nothing fabulous. They are made with whole wheat pastry flour, coconut sugar, and dark chocolate shavings. Considering that they contain no refined sugar or flour they are so good. Crisp edges and soft, soft gooey center. Yes, they are always still soft, but it will have a cookie I feel better for having these.

Also- I fell so in love with cooking with Hugo. I think I dreamed cooking with my own child for so long. It is partly sweet and partly a horrible disaster, but nothing makes me happier these days her soft response when I ask "Hugo, do you want to bake cookies with Mom?" He smiled his sweet 2 years smile said "YES!" I like that. We do not have as much time together as we used to so that these moments are so special ... and those cookies!

Print
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip cookies
Ingredients
  • 2 plus 2 cups c. pastry whole wheat flour
  • ½ tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 12 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1½ cups coconut sugar
  • + 1 large egg 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 ½ cup dark chocolate chips
  • * optional: sea salt for sprinkling
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpats, set aside.
  2. In a large bowl cream together sugar and butter coconut. Add the egg. yellow, and vanilla and mix until blended.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
  4. Scoop dough on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt flakey if you wish.
  5. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until edges are set.
notes
Recipe adapted from Cooking Illustrated

Advertiser