Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Grapefruit Glazed Bundt cake

Grapefruit Glazed Bundt cake -

grapefruit3

If you've been pregnant, you probably know that everyone likes to ask if you have had any cravings. For the most part my pregnancy was rather boring in this department as once my first quarter ended I eat almost everything. For the last two weeks, however, it was all a thing- citrus. I'm pretty obsessed. I always feel thirsty and a juicy orange or tangerine or grapefruit always looks good sound. I think I went through 3 of these clementines funds in the last two weeks and I just got another. God thank you, it is in season right now because I really can not get enough.

grapefruit 2

I made this cake a few weeks ago for a dinner party, a dessert "citrusy" was requested. In my view, the grapefruit is very neglected in general and as it is one of my absolute favorite flavors I was delighted to find this cake on my friend's blog Tracey. It was originally made in a loaf pan, but I decided to fancy up a bit in a bundt. The cake is oh so good. I mean it's amazing. The texture is moist and tasty syrup and grapefruit makes it absorbs more. A grapefruit glaze on top that adds even more flavor punch and add a delicious extra sweetness.

grapefruit

Although Andy loves and eats whatever I cook in the oven, he went a little nuts for this particular cake. He said that day, it was one of her favorite things I've ever done and asked again a few days later, when his parents were visiting us. It turns out that his father can not eat grapefruit though so I did it with lemon and it was also wonderful. (Though I think I prefer grapefruit because it is such a unique flavor, underutilized.) This is a great, easy, crowd pleasing recipe I can not wait to do it again!

* Note - I tend to be impatient with bundt cakes and I try to return them immediately. This led to pieces of cake sticking to the pan, which is why the surface looks a little crater ahead. Please learn from my mistake and let it cool before you return. The cake is so soft and tender, it is cool to stay linked together :)

Print
Glazed Grapefruit Bundt cake
Ingredients
for the cake:
  • 2 cups all purpose
  • 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1⅔ granulated sugar cups
  • 1 tablespoon of grapefruit zest
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • [any
  • 1 cup milk, at room temperature
  • ¾ cup vegetable oil
  • extract 1 teaspoon vanilla coffee
syrup
  • ½ cup grapefruit juice
  • ⅓ cup granulated sugar
Glaze
  • ¾-1 cup icing sugar
  • 1-2 tablespoons juice grapefruit
  • 1 tablespoon of grapefruit zest for sprinkling (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. generously butter and flour a bundt pan 9 inches. Put aside.
  2. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, use your hands to rub the sugar and zest together for a minute or two. Add the eggs into the bowl with the sugar mixture and beat at medium speed for about 3 minutes or until mixture is thick and creamy. With the mixer running, stream in the milk, then oil and finally vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients, beating until combined.
  4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 45-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  5. Let the cake cool completely on rack before returning on a cake stand or tray. (You can speed up the process a little cooling in the freezer.)
  6. While the cake is baking, prepare the syrup: Combine grapefruit juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and continue to simmer for 1 minute.
  7. When the cake has cooled and inverted prick top with fork and brush generously all over with syrup.
For the icing:
  1. Add sugar and powdered grapefruit juice and add a tablespoon of juice first, then a little more if necessary until the enamel is a thick consistency but pourable.
  2. Drizzle glaze generously over the cake and sprinkle with zest if desired. Allow the cake to set before serving
Notes
slightly adapted recipe :. Culinary Adventures Tracey via Ad Hoc at home by Thomas Keller

Advertiser