Friday, October 7, 2016

Mixed Berry Pie

Mixed Berry Pie -

BerryPie

I love pie so. Honestly (and I know I say many,) I think it's my favorite type of dessert. I love cakes, cookies, puddings and cookies as the next girl, but the pie just makes me every time. Give me a flaky crust, a thick fruit garnish with a dollop of whipped cream or ice and I'm in heaven. (I also love cream pies, cream pies, chess pies etc- I do not discriminate!)

In fact, lately I dream of opening my own pie shop - a little before cute store that sells only one thing- slices of parts, all you name it I sell. For now, it may just be a pipe dream- but one day maybe I'll post a small storefront all my own. Who knows!

BerryPie2

anyway come summer months, I would make this tart and juicy pie left and right windows. It is to die for. It is full of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. It is not even a little soupy and the filling is thick and perfect. The key to the perfect filling is the thickening I was blabbing about ages- instant tapioca. Just go and get some already !! If you like pies of summer fruits (especially berries, peaches are juicy but also), it is the absolute best thickener. I found in regular grocery store, but recently I bought 6 large bags on Amazon. (I figure everyone I know who loves cooking needs that in their life so I bought in bulk.)

This tart is summer on a plate for me. Tons of juicy berries, not too sweet, and a flaky crust melts in your mouth, (who does not get wet from a soupy liquid filling!) I made to Andy's birthday earlier this week and disappeared within 24 hours. (Because the fruit pies are quite acceptable as food breakfast we did share a little.) I plan to do a lot more pies this summer so I hope you are for!

Print
Mixed Berry Pie
Ingredients
  • 1 double Pie Crust, chilled
  • 7 cups berries (I used equal combo of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries)
  • ¼ and 1 tablespoon instant tapioca
  • 1 cup sugar
  • zest of a lemon
  • heavy cream for brushing the crust
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425F. In a large bowl toss the berries with tapioca, sugar and lemon zest- set aside.
  2. Start a Pie Crusts corresponds to a round of 11 inches and drape in a 9-inch pie plate. Pour the berries into the crust. Roll the second half of the crust over and drape on top of the berries. Crimp the edges and trim excess.
  3. Use a paring knife to make a few slits in the top of the upper edges crust.Brush and crust with thick cream.
  4. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden.
  5. Let the pie cool before slicing. (The cooler the cake, the more solid the tranche will!)

Advertiser