Friday, November 25, 2016

Coconut Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies with

Coconut Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies with -

As I mentioned in my last post, my friend had a Hiba beautiful little girl earlier this week. She is lucky to have her mom in the city for a while to cook and help around the house, so I thought I'd bring more snacks instead of food practices. Also- from the time I saw this recipe, I knew I had to do when her baby came. Remember these coconut-Caramel Cupcakes nuts I made last year for his 30th b-day? They were his favorite little cakes ever if I thought cookies would be a winning combination.

These beauties consist of a shortbread-like dough that is rolled in coconut. After giving the dough balls a signature "thumbprint" indentation you cook until browned and crispy. Then you spoon in a little melty caramel, sprinkle on some sea salt, and you're good to go. These cookies are crunchy, chewy, sweet and nutty with just a hint of salt. They may be one of my favorite cookie recipes ever. The recipe makes a ton of cookies, so that all rolling into balls, dip in the coconut, thumbprint thing was a tad consuming- time, but it is worth it. If I had chosen to do this at a time of day that other 23 hours, I may even have added a ribbon of chocolate to make them much yummier. (The next time maybe?)

PS- I did not mention how the wedding planning is from time to time. Maybe because now that I booked all my suppliers, there is a bit of a lull in activity. :) Right now I'm trying to decide what to do about desserts. I have not had much luck finding a bakery to date I think is amazing, (especially when I just want cupcakes and I know I can do it myself.) I 0 baking cupcakes the day before my wedding to be a huge mistake? Anyway the recipe :)

Print
Coconut Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies with
Ingredients
  • 3 sticks of butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1½ teaspoons unsalted. pure vanilla extract
  • 3½ cups all purpose
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 large beaten eggs
  • 12 oz sweet nut coconut crumbled
  • 44 small toffee candies (12 oz)
  • 6 tablespoons heavy cream
  • Flaky sea salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed of mixer until pale and fluffy then add vanilla.
  2. with low mixer, add flour a little at a time ½ teaspoon salt and beat to combine.
  3. using plastic wrap, press dough together to make a little flat and roll into balls 1¼ inches. (I recommend doing all working before starting the immersion.)
  4. With a spoon, dip each ball in beaten egg, let the excess egg drip, then roll in coconut. (I had to use my fingers / spoon to help make all the dough balls were coated evenly with the coconut. Do not worry if you get messy!)
  5. Place balls on a plate and press baking parchment lined a your thumbprint in each cookie.
  6. cook for 10 minutes, then remove the indentations oven sheet and re-press.
  7. After that, put the sheet in the oven and bake another 9-10 minutes or until golden. Let cool on rack. Repeat with remaining dough. (Cookies will be hot do it quickly!)
For Caramel:
  1. Place caramels unpacked and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth, 4-6 minutes. Pour the caramel into the indentations of each cookie and sprinkle with sea salt. If the caramel begins to harden, reheat on low heat! (Store in airtight containers for up to 2 days.)

Recipe Martha Stewart Living February 2012

Advertiser