Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Braided Broccoli-Pesto Bread

Braided Broccoli-Pesto Bread -
IMG_70251

Ok you guys- it's official I'm obsessed with baking with yeast! What began as an irrational parnoia has become my new favorite pastime. Is the satisfaction of seeing the rise of dough that I love so much? Maybe thhe pillowy soft bread from the oven? Does it take all my efforts as I kneaded the dough on my table? Who knows- but- I really can not get enough.

I was eyeing this particular recipe Pintrest for some time, and had waited the perfect opportunity to do so. Well, the chance came a few weeks ago when my friend Laura and I made plans to cook together. She had given up sweets for a few weeks (how?), So I thought it would be good to do something she might actually enjoy. (Plus- the morning of cooking time, she discovered some really amazing News- and it seemed that the party with a piece of broccoli pesto bread was better than nothing!)

The original recipe used French bread dough store bought, but I wanted to try something from scratch. I thought the pizza dough would be perfect for it, almost like a calzone, so I went with it. I found this recipe so easy to work with and man oh man did get up! So much so that I had to keep punching down while I waited Laura happen!

Many types of filling would be great, but I thought the broccoli pesto seemed so interesting that I just had to try. The options are endless and I can not wait to try it again with something new. (Brie and pears perhaps?) I'm also happy to try to make my first pizza house and actually use the crust!

Are you intimidated by the beautiful braid on top? Do not Worry it's easy as possible and I realized step by step pictures below !!

IMG_70041
IMG_70091 IMG_70151 IMG_70301

Print
braided Broccoli-Pesto bread
Ingredients
  • 1 (.25 ounce) active dry yeast
  • 1 cup of hot water ( 110 degrees F / 45 ° C)
  • 2½ cups bread flour
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • [sucreblanc
  • 2 teaspoons
  • broccoli Pesto
  • 1 head of broccoli cut into florets (about 2 cups)
  • 2 peeled garlic cloves-
  • ½ cup grated parmesan
  • ½ cup blanched roasted almonds
  • ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste.
Instructions
  1. in a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes
  2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, olive oil, salt, white sugar and the yeast mixture. mix well.
  3. Knead well until a firm dough is formed. If dough is too sticky- gradually add the extra half
  4. cup flour. Cover and rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  6. When the dough as a test, put on a well floured surface, form the dough into an oval shape and deployment.
  7. Add the pesto ingredients in your food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth.
  8. Spread pesto in the middle of the dough and cut strips of inches thick on each side.
  9. to "braid" overlap breadwinner one another- stretching on each piece to seal the bottom.
  10. once the bread is a braided- brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sea salt.
  11. Drag a bread on a cookie sheet or pizza stone and bake oven for 20-25 minutes, or until crust is golden and crisp. Cut into slices and serve hot dipped in your favorite sauce

Crust adapted :. All revenue
filling concept and adapted from: Bev Cooks

Advertiser