Friday, December 30, 2016

Carrot Cake Classic Layer

Carrot Cake Classic Layer -

carrotcake4

I find carrot cake for Easter connection to be one of the most adorable things ever. Easter> Bunnies> Carrots. I mean it makes perfect sense right? (Although these great Easter bunnies are totally weird, but I'm quite yet take Hugo to meet!) Somehow, even without the thing Rabbit, Carrot Cake always brings to mind spring. It is really weird in many ways spices and pairings are just on par with autumn flavors. Truthfully though, I think Carrot Cake is one of those desserts that works all year round. (I mean I'll eat it any old time!)

carrotcake3

Now when it comes to Carrot Cake, it seems that there two very distinct camps. The side that likes all the goodies in the dough like nuts, raisins and pineapple, then the types who prefer carrots and spices their cake set of carrots in a light and fluffy cake with a rich cheese cream icing. As a child, we only ate the first type. I think my mother thought that the more fruits and nuts, it could squeeze out the healthiest it all was, and frankly we were not the wisest and loved. Fast forward to when I met Andy who is a strict "no mix-ins in my Carrot Cake" type, and I guess he pulled me a little on his side. There is something quite impressive about a super simple carrot cake. soft moist cake with cream cheese frosting on each bite- nothing to take away from the texture and spices. If you are a "keep the fruits of my Carrot Cake" person this recipe is for you.

carrotcake2

I actually uses the basic cake recipe Momofuku Cookbook milk bar. (Remember when I used to be cooking my way through!?) Well when I was doing that- we made Carrot Cake Truffles. Basically they are composed of this cake crushed and rolled into balls then dipped in white chocolate. They were amazing, but I could never forget the perfect texture of this cake before demolition. I've never tried something like that. It is so wet that it almost melts in the mouth and is so Fluffy . It is not too sweet at all, so the pair with a rich cream cheese icing is a match made in heaven. (And I'm pretty done this with equal parts cake / frosting was to die.)

Of course, if adding raisins or nuts is your thing, you can go ahead and throw a little in the dough, but I must say I am easy carrot cake converted. This one is my new favorite!

CarrotCake1

Layer Cake Classic Carrot
Ingredients
  • 1 stick butter milk room temperature.
  • ½ cup packed light brown sugar
  • granulated sugar ½
  • 2 eggs
  • ¼ cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
  • extract 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1¼ cups flour
  • 1 c. baking powder
  • ¼ c. baking soda
  • ¾ c. ground cinnamon
  • 1¼ teaspoons salt
  • carrots
  • 2½ cups shredded peeled * (2-3 large medium carrots)
For the Frosting:
  • 12 oz softened cream cheese
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
  • 2-4 cups powdered sugar extract vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon
  • 1 cinnamon coffee spoons
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 2 6.8, or 9-inch cake pans with butter *, flouring and covering the bottom with parchment paper. Put aside.
  2. Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted on the paddle attachment and cream over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl, add the eggs and stir over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl again.
  3. The low speed, stream in the oil, increase the speed of high-way mixer and paddle for 4 to 6 minutes, until the mixture is almost white, two once the size of your original fluffy mixture butter / sugar, and completely homogeneous without fat streaks. (Mix this paste which feels like a lot is part of what makes it so amazing.) Stop the mixer and scrape sides of bowl.
  4. The low speed, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Blend for 45-60 seconds, until your dough comes together and the remnants of dry ingredients have been incorporated.
  5. Dump grated carrots in the bowl and, using a spatula, fold the hem in the dough. scraping sides of bowl and give the dough a final time.
  6. Divide batter into your prepared pan.
  7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool the cakes on a wire rack while you prepare the glaze
For the Frosting :.
  1. Cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and cinnamon and powdered sugar, one cup at a time, until the frosting is smooth and thick. The more sugar you add powdered steepest, then it will start with 2 cups and add a little at a time if necessary.
  2. Slice the cake layers in half if desired to make 4 layers, or just freeze the two layers. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Notes
* I used 6-inch pots and my layers were thick enough to slice into 4. If you use an 8 or 9-inch pan, they may end up thinner and making four layers may not be need- either option is fine.

* I grated carrots these super fine, anyway is good.

Recipe Database: Milk, The Momofuku Cookbook Milkbar

Advertiser