Saturday, December 10, 2016

Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes

Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes -

taters2

Did I mention that I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year? For the first time my mother abandons her hosting duties at home and my parents and sister Grace join the rest of us here in New York for a party in town! I felt a little disappointed not to be able to travel at Christmas this year and getting to have my entire family in the same room for the first time since my marriage was something that really needs to happen.

I come from a family of food people, so we can all help and work together to create a delicious feast. I have said I would do desserts and bread, but works on some sides as well. My dad is an amazing cook, so I thought that I could do what he likes. Being the Middle East, garlic is a standard in all foods that passes our table, so I thought I experimented with a creamy, super garlicky "broken" potato dish to serve the Turkey Day. My friends- this is the one and the potato puree recipe only I will ever need, it's what I like in my favorite Thanksgiving side and more.

taters

The recipe starts by taking 2 lbs of baby red (or potato bliss red) and turn them into "apples salt land. "Are you familiar? Rebecca did a wonderful post on here-and I've been obsessed with this concept since last summer when I tried my first cream, salt crust bite . You basically boil the potatoes in the highly saline water that makes the very high temperature, which results in creamy potatoes with salt crust. I broke those with a bit of butter, milk and all a sweet roasted garlic head (which I could eat plain by the way.) the end result was truly and really delicious, especially if like me you love your creamy potatoes with a bit of texture.

Stay tuned for a nice dessert recipe later this week and then a week of Pie Recipes to start the season of Thanksgiving! Hooray!

Print
Roasted Garlic Potatoes Smashed
Ingredients
  • 1 head of garlic
  • of olive oil
  • 2 lbs. red potatoes
  • ¾ cup salt (for boiling not exceeding do not worry!)
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
  • freshly ground black
  • fresh rosemary herbs, thyme, etc. (Optional)
Instructions
First roast garlic :.
  1. Preheat oven to 400F
  2. Cut the bottom of a head of garlic and place cut side up in a small ramekin or heat-resistant dish. (If the top of the head is a super uneven slice that off and he lay flat.)
  3. cloves Drizzle with olive oil, make sure that all surfaces are covered, and the top of a tin foil.
  4. Roast garlic for 30-35 minutes- will be soft and easy to keep to the right of the skin and in the potatoes when ready
for potatoes :.
  1. Boil 6 cups water in a medium to large saucepan. When boiling, add salt and gently add the potatoes.
  2. Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat to medium-high heat. potatoes cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. (A fork will easily be able to go all the way through.)
  3. Drain the potatoes in a large bowl and crush them with a potato masher or something similar. Add the butter, milk and roasted garlic, breaking a bit more until the desired consistency is reached.
  4. Add black pepper fees and other fresh herbs if desired. (They should be much salt, but add more to taste, if desired.)
  5. Top with another pat of butter to serve.
notes
potatoes salt Recipe: Foodie with the family

Advertiser