Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Perfect Blackberry Pie

Perfect Blackberry Pie -

pie

This is it folks, my last season fruit recipe summer. (Probably) I thought I did last week, but I went to Washington family and we took ripe charges and I could not not throw them into a pie right? My sister made blackberry pies each year of harvest they gather near their home, and I'm happy to be in the tradition. I like most fruits strawberry rhubarb, apples and caramel etc, but this may just be my favorite flavor of pie ever. The filling was thick and completely empty of water mess that often comes with fruit pies. Our berries were the juiciest thing on the planet so that even with thick filling- we still had this juicy explosion when we cut into, (which was perfect for our home ice cream vanilla bean !)

pie2

I liked to use tapioca flour in the past, but I must say that the instant tapioca is the way to go when using berries. The filling was so thick and the lack of a liquid waste flowing surprised me. I took these pictures during the pie was cooling for about two hours, but when we ate the rest later in the day- slices were solid, easy to cut and looked just perfect! The slight acidity of the berries with the flaky all-butter crust and vanilla bean ice cream was the dessert was perfection. Although traditionally a ripe summer fruit, I plan on using frozen berries for this fall and winter also- it's just that good!

Print
Perfect Blackberry Pie
Ingredients
  • 1 recipe Pie Crust
  • 6 ripe cups
  • 6 tablespoons of instant tapioca
  • ½-1 cup sugar (depending on sweetness of your berries )
  • juice 1 tablespoon lemon
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 beaten egg
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
  2. Spread a tower pie crust so that about 2 inches hangs on the edge of your pie dish. Transfer to the pie dish, then put in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble the top and filling.
  3. In a large bowl combine the berries, tapioca, sugar, juice, zest and extract. Mix gently to combine.
  4. Brush the bottom of the crust with the beaten egg and pour the filling into the prepared crust and spread the top layer, or do a double crust or network if you wish. Brush top crust with the remaining egg and sprinkle with sugar if desired.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 ° F, then reduce oven to 375 F and bake for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. If at any time your crust seems too quickly- get gold cover with foil while filling continues to cook.
  6. Chill for at least an hour or two before cutting and serving with ice cream vanilla.

Advertiser