Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Quick and easy Tortellini soup

Quick and easy Tortellini soup -

soup2

A bit of a transition that happens in my brain and in my kitchen. As the pregnancy progresses, I realize that my priorities are moving a little. I used to consider the kitchen "real food" secondary whipping bakery products has always been my first love. I cook for both of us probably 2/3 times a week, and among the remains, eating out, and the command were mostly covered. Lately, though, between the next move and the realization that I will have a "real food" eating baby before I know it, I'm looking more for easy healthy lunches I can whip in no time .

soup

I've had my eye on this soup recipe for a long time and it was only when I realized we had a frozen package tortellini in the freezer that I bit the bullet to do. I whip this delicious soup with the phone to my ear, essentially cooking with one hand on a phone call 10-15 minutes. Yup- this whole thing is done as quickly and is super yummy too! Andy loved it and I felt like a rock star of a woman to have time to "do lunch" when he was serious as easy as cutting a little onion and throw things in a pot.

The first time I stuck to the written recipe, but my own a bit teeny using a mixture of kale and spinach, and adding some beans for some protein. I felt good eat for dinner because it took less time than it would be for my favorite Thai restaurant to offer! I wish to share dinner more quick and easy recipes with you in the coming months (not replace baked goods- do not worry!)

Print
Tortellini Soup quick and easy
Ingredients
  • 1 c. olive oil
  • ½ cup onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ c. dried oregano
  • 1 (15 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
  • 4 cups low vegetable broth sodium (or chicken broth)
  • drained and rinsed ¾ cup white beans (optional)
  • 9 oz tortellini, any variety (fresh or frozen)
  • 3 cups fresh baby spinach (or kale leaves *)
  • Salt and pepper
  • grated Parmesan, to serve
Instructions
  1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook until slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  2. Add oregano, tomatoes, broth and beans in the pot. Bring mixture to a boil.
  3. Add the tortellini and cook according to the package directions. About a minute before the tortellini is done, add spinach or kale. Remove from fire. Add salt and pepper as desired. Serve with some grated fresh Parmesan.
Notes
If you use kale, cut the leaves of the hard ridge in the center - otherwise it will be crisp when the soup is cooked.

Recipe adapted from trouble: Annie Eats via Tasty Kitchen

Advertiser