Sunday, January 1, 2017

Scalloped Sweet Potatoes Hasselbeck

Scalloped Sweet Potatoes Hasselbeck -

SweetPotato1

Its quite possible that you have all your Thanksgiving menus in stone, but in case you do not, I'm trying to squeeze a couple more! This can not be missed because it is just too good. Now I have to admit that normally I am not a big fan of sweet potato. I love my salty things to be essentially salty and I like my sweet for dessert. I'm not too fond of the traditional marshmallow pairing brown sugar and I have never found a side of sweet potato that I am madly in love with ....

SweetPotato2

Until now ... for me it is. Crispy thin, sweet potatoes with lots of cheese and rosemary and garlic. Salty and of course a little sweet, but tasty 100%. I really like the presentation of this dish also, something about assembling this dish was so much fun! He reminded me of a craft project something..stacking tiles or cards or something? Anyway, do not mind that I am deprived of sleep.

sweet potatoe3

Back to this dish. It can be prepared the night before and baked before serving, which is obviously always an advantage. In addition, as many tasty dishes can be easily adapted to suit your tastes. If you do not like you garlic and rosemary use caramelized onions and thyme. I used parmesan and cheddar, Swiss and Gruyere but would work well too. This is a versatile side dish so I can not wait to do it again!

Print
Hasselbeck Sweet Potato Gratin
Ingredients
  • 3 oz finely grated gruyere or cheddar
  • 3 oz. parmesan cheese, finely grated
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 5- 6 medium sweet apple earth *
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary roughly
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • butter for greasing the pan
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. using a Microplane or whatever else works for you, cut potatoes ⅛ inch thick. Soak in water until ready to use.
  3. Combine cheeses. Take about ⅓ out and set aside. To add the remaining cheese cream, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Whisk together.
  4. Drain and dry the potatoes and add cheese / cream mixture. Make sure each slice is coated, using your hands to separate.
  5. Use butter to grease a pan or 9-inch pan size another 2-3 pints. Take a stack of potato slices and arrange them vertically around the perimeter of the pan.
  6. Continue, place the potatoes in the pan, then continue on the inside as well. Pour mixture remaining cream over the potatoes, filling it halfway up the side of the pan.
  7. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and cook for 30 minutes, uncovered. Finally, add the remaining cheese all over the top and bake for last 30 minutes, or until golden brown with super cheese crisp.
Notes
* Because each potato is slightly different, you may need a few extra slices to wedge to make everything fit in comfortably. I had one more that I ended up using in the end.

adapted recipe from Serious Eats

Advertiser