Saturday, February 18, 2017

Mixed Berry Pavlova

Mixed Berry Pavlova -

IMG_67691

Until recently, Pavlova was a dessert, I really did not understand. I saw him burst here and there, but never really appealed to me. From the outside looks so hard and crisp, I just assumed it would be dense and dry and crumbly. Then there a few days ago, I tried my first bite of one and I was in dessert heaven. I had never in my life tasted such a light and fluffy dessert. It is airy and not too sweet and honest to goodness the bottom right in the mouth. The meringue is crisp on the outside but still marshmallow-y inside, giving the soft, light as the texture of the air.

By researching on recipes, I think it's a famous Australian dessert named after the legendary ballerina Anna Pavlova. They are often topped with kiwi, but I thought the simple fresh berries sounded perfect. (I've also seen many versions of it topped with passion fruit that sounds a bit surprising dough manufacturing.) The options are endless and I know
it will continue to return to the more months hot! It is perfect for a hot barbecue or picnic you want something light and refreshing.

IMG_68061

In fact, I made some versions of Pavlova before I got the method down to make it good. (Do not Worry I ate all those dismissed too!) Here are some tips I have collected :.

1-use granulated sugar in the meringue will be easier to dissolve
2 Like all recipes egg white, yellow or a drop of oil in the bowl so will ruin it- be careful!
3 After Pavlova finished cooking, let the oven and cool slightly open there. The slow cooling process prevents collapse.
4 This dessert is so light that it is easy to accidentally eat it (maybe happened to me ...)

Print
Mixed Berry Pavlova
Ingredients
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 cup granulated sugar (also known as powdered sugar name)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla coffee
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • ½ teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • mixed berries or other fruit
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 275F and place rack in middle of oven. Line a baking sheet paper parchment and draw a circle 7 inches with a pencil and then flip the parchment so that the pencil side is down. Put aside.
  2. In a clean bowl, medium size metal, beat the egg whites with a clean electric mixer at medium speed. Beat until whites form soft peaks.
  3. gently sprinkle the sugar into the egg whites, one teaspoon at a time. Continue beating the egg whites while adding any sugar. Your egg whites should now be thick and glossy with stiff peaks. Sprinkle cornstarch and vinegar on the meringue and gently stir with a plastic spatula. Add vanilla and gently stir the mixture again.
  4. Now, gently spread the meringue in the circle on the parchment to a circular base. Make sure the edges of the meringue are slightly higher than the center so you have a very small well in the middle.
  5. Bake the meringues for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until it happens, a pale pink eggshell color. Turn off the oven and leave the door slightly ajar to let the meringue cool completely. As the meringue cools, it will crack slightly.
  6. Just before serving, make the meringue in the oven and gently remove the parchment and place on a plate. (Or cover and refrigerate the meringue base until you are ready to serve.)
  7. Whip the cream until it forms peaks. Gently spread the cream on top of the meringue with a spatula and arrange the fruit on top. Slice and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Australian Food

Advertiser