Monday, July 18, 2016

French madeleines

French madeleines -

IMG_1749

I had this post ready for days, but I spend every spare moment trying to re- format all my old messages it took me a few days to do something else. Thank you all for the kind words and comments. I am aware of a few things that need fixing, and we hope that everything will be smoothed out soon.

Anyway, on these little beauties French ... With our next trip to Paris (and Venice / Florence / Rome) coming in less than 2 months, I had French desserts the non-stop brain. I do a lot of research on all the delicious French pastries, breads and chocolates that I have to try and where I have to go get them. I was also addicted to my podcast "Pause French café" I'm trying to learn some of the language. With Paris on the brain, I must warn you that you may see a handful of French favorites in the coming weeks! (Not like you in mind.)

IMG_1751

I never really understood the appeal of Maeleines until I tried them. I mean they looked like cupcakes in a fancy mold. What is the difference between them and the same paste poured into a mini-muffins? Well, it turns out a lot. I tried a few weeks ago the Laudreé here in New York and was struck. He was the spongey, fluffy cake with crisp edges. It was buttery and sweet and just what I wanted to dunk in my coffee.

So I bought a madeleine pan and could not wait to whip up a batch. I chose a simple recipe that is just like the Parisians, apparently as them- (with a smooth top) other bakeries outside Paris seem to prefer the lump signature in the middle. (I decided to stay with the path of Paris from the recipe seemed a little easier!)

IMG_1740

I believe invested in the pot is really worth. I'll do them in many variations and flavors for many tea parties and upcoming baby showers!

Print
French Madeleines
Ingredients
  • 2 eggs room temperature
  • ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup white sugar
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup flour cake
  • 1 zest tablespoon lemon
  • ¼ cup butter
  • powdered sugar for sprinkling
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. grease slightly 12 (3 inches) of madeleine molds; put aside.
  2. Melt butter and let cool to room temperature.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk, beat eggs, vanilla and salt at high speed until light.
  4. With the machine running, gradually add sugar; and continue beating at high speed until the mixture is thick, creamy, pale ribbons when beaters are lifted, about 5 to 10 minutes.
  5. Sift in flour and gently fold into the batter.
  6. Add the lemon zest and melted butter. folds very quickly but gently into the dough. Pour batter into molds; it will be slightly above mound heights.
  7. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until the cakes are golden and the tops spring back when gently pressed with your finger.
  8. Use a knife to loosen pan madeleines; invert the grid. Immediately sprinkle the warm cookies with powdered sugar.

Recipe adapted Illustrated Cook

Advertiser