Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Rhubarb Custard Bars Creamy

Rhubarb Custard Bars Creamy -

There

One year, if you ask me my opinion of rhubarb, it would be almost the polar opposite of what it is now. To be honest, I'm really confused by rhubarb in general. what was that? Red celery? Why would I cook with red celery? I knew he was often paired with strawberries, but I'm too weirded out to try it.

Then, last spring, I tried the most unexpected delicious rhubarb crisp and I am an instant convert. I could not believe I had been missing out on such a tart and delicious ingredient! So at this time last year, I cooked a couple of wonderful things with rhubarb and berries, and I look forward to what is ephemeral spring season since!

When I saw these beautiful pink bars on Pinterest few months ago, I knew it was by my next creation rhubarb. It made me a little nervous not to be coupled is some tartness with sweet berries, but I'm happy to give it a whirl. And really, how could I resist a fluffy pink bar which was also a little tart and refreshing? Answer- I could not.

This recipe is simple to throw together and would be the perfect summer picnic treat. I also think it would be exceptional with other fruits when they are in season. You can bet I'll whip some fishing rods and custard come August! (If I still have time to cook during the month of marriage. I hope that I do!)



Print
Creamy rhubarb Custard Bars
Ingredients
  • crust:
  • 1 cup all-purpose sugar flour
  • ⅛ cup
  • 1 cold stick of butter cut into pieces
  • fill
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ¼ c. nutmeg
  • 3 and ½ tablespoons flour
  • ½ cup whipping cream
  • 1 beaten egg and 1 egg yolk
  • ½ extract c vanilla
  • rhubarb
  • 2½ cups finely chopped fresh
  • head :.
  • 4 oz cheese, softened cream
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • ¼ extract c vanilla
  • ½ cup whipping cream, whipped
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 ° F and grease or cooking parchment flat 8x8.
  2. Prepare the crust by combining the flour and sugar in a bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gently press into prepared pan and bake for 10-15 minutes in preheated oven. (Crust should be inflated, but still soft.)
  3. While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. Mix sugar, nutmeg and flour in a large bowl. Stir in cream and egg / yellow, then gently fold in the rhubarb. Pour over crust and bake for 40-45 minutes or until custard is set. Cool completely.
  4. Prepare the filling by beating the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth, then fold in the whipped cream. Divide filling on top and cover and refrigerate. (Serve very cold!) Cut into bars and serve. stores bars in the refrigerator

Recipe adapted from :. Dulce via Dough Taste of Home

Advertiser