Thursday, September 29, 2016

Blistered shishito Peppers lemon and sea salt

Blistered shishito Peppers lemon and sea salt -

Blistered Shishito Peppers with Lemon and Sea Salt

Back when Andy and I had a life, one of our favorite things do on a warm evening was mosey in the East Village of Manhattan and visit one of our favorite places, Mermaid Inn. It is a charming little place that specializes in seafood, and before 7.30 am they have this fabulous happy hour with $ 1 oysters and cocktails half price. We would like to order some oysters and a couple other appetizers sitting in their picturesque garden enjoying the warm night. It was there that I first was introduced to shishito peppers, and since I'm obsessed.

The way I have done here is pretty much exactly how I remember the Mermaid Inn. Puffed out, a little crispy and tender, and topped with lots of lemon juice and sea salt flakey. I can not believe it took me this long to do that, I always thought that they would be difficult with all kinds of necessary fancy cooking techniques. They are so easy, it's comical. I will do these on a regular now, they are so inexplicably delicious. Shishitos are usually pretty sweet peppers, occasionally a spicy one shows, but that's a little part of the fun I think. I found them at Trader Joes but I think you can find several places this time of year. One day soon, we'll take a date night Mermaid Inn, but I'm glad to have found an alternative in the mean time.

Blistered Shishito Peppers with Lemon and Sea Salt

Print
blistered shishito Peppers lemon and sea salt
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 lb shishito Peppers
  • Flakey sea salt and neighborhoods lemon for garnish
Instructions
  1. . Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat until just smoking
  2. Add half the peppers; (You can use a protection against splashes if you have one.) Cook, tossing occasionally, until the skins are blistered, about 4 minutes.
  3. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers to a bowl, patting excess oil. Sprinkle with salt and lemon and toss to coat. (Repeat with remaining peppers.)
Notes
Recipe adapted from Epicurious

Advertiser