Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Cheesy Grits spinach and fried egg

Cheesy Grits spinach and fried egg -

grits2

When a tasty recipe is made and loved in my house as much as this one, I know I can not wait long to share it with you. Andy and I enjoyed it for breakfast on Sunday morning more than I can count, and the flavor and texture combo is Great- if I knew you all would know about it.

Until I thought recently- grits were bland mush that existed in the south as a form of torture. They never looked very good, and once I tried to Cracker Barrel I remained unimpressed. It was before I understood the amazing-ness that are cheese, butter beans , which are the perfect vessel for a number of things-like bacon, grilled shrimp, and in this case the spinach and eggs runny. While we see this as a bit of a special breakfast, it takes very little time to do and is so creamy and delicious. I like that I get a little protein and vegetables and more decadent grains.

grits

Did you know that porridge and polenta begin as the same and the only difference is in how the to prepare? I did not until my sister heard of Alton Brown, who is also the brain behind the oatmeal recipe. We seriously all the time-it's so creamy and delicious. If you like me are skeptical oatmeal this may just be the recipe to change your mind!

Print
Cheesy Grits Spinach Fried eggs
Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt coffee
  • ½ cup oatmeal *
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 ounces of cheese (cheddar, parmesan, gouda, etc.), shredded
  • large handful of fresh baby spinach
  • 4 eggs
Instructions
  1. place the milk, water and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
  2. When the milk mixture is boiling, slowly add the beans whisking. Reduce heat and cover. Remove cover every minute or continuing to stir to prevent clumping or sticking. Cook until grits are creamy. (The duration varies depending on this type of oatmeal you use.)
  3. Remove from heat, black pepper and butter and cheese. Mix well and melted.
  4. Toss in spinach and stir, fold the warm grains of spinach until wilted.
  5. Fry the eggs as desired (I Like Mine over-easy.) Spoon oatmeal and spinach in bowls and garnish with fried eggs.
notes
* I used quick-cooking oatmeal, which only takes about 5 minutes. If you do use this type you want to allow 15-20 minutes for the grains to absorb the liquid and get creamy.

Grit recipe adapted from Alton Brown

Advertiser