Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Cinnamon Brown Butter Cake Skillet

Cinnamon Brown Butter Cake Skillet -

brownbutter3

Last week something happened miraculous. My two little sisters who live in my neighborhood came, offering to hold and entertain Hugo so I can get things done. It was amazing. I changed the sheets, answered so many emails, vacuuming, and bake this cake. I had nothing in mind at the time but when I knew my sisters were on Auntie Patrol got a "can I cook?" frantic moment. I did not go to the store, so I perused my pantry to see what I could do. Luckily I had all the basics of cooking and thought a cake pan would be fun. This recipe for a bowl soon came to be and man oh man was good.

brownbutter

I love cakes and easy it is very simple. You brown the butter in a cast iron skillet and like anything you've greased your mold and prepared the most important ingredient for the recipe! The texture of the cake is perfect. Fluffy, full of flavor and moist as can be. It is topped with my favorite frosting hazelnut butter with a little cinnamon. (My sister Ameara said he looked like a Snickerdoodle!)

This is a perfect solution for the need of a quick dessert in a pinch, (especially if you want one that makes your house smell amazing!) Sometimes the best recipes come when you least expect it, right?

brownbutter2

Cinnamon Brown Butter Skillet Cake
Ingredients
  • 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1¼ cups all purpose
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • ⅓ cup brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon of baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla coffee
  • ½ cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
Frosting:
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla coffee
  • 2-3 tablespoons milk
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. In a cast iron pan 9 inches, melt butter (1 stick and 2 T) after melted, continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden. Pour ½ cup butter in a glass measuring cup and let cool slightly. Use a spoon to bring the remaining brown butter around the edges of the pan, coating well.
  3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt, whisk together.
  4. Create a well in the center of the bowl and add the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk and browned butter. Whisk the wet ingredients first, then fold everything together until just combined dry without streaks.
  5. Pour batter into pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
  6. bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. While the cake cools slightly make the icing:
For the Frosting:
  1. In a small saucepan brown the 4 tablespoons of butter. Stir in cinnamon, vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth. Add milk gradually until frosting is smooth and as thick as you like. (If you want, you can clear up a bit so it can be washed rather than the spread!)
  2. Poke warm cake with a fork and spread or spray the cherry on top. Serve hot.
Notes
Recipe loosely adapted from Land O Lakes

Advertiser