Sunday, December 4, 2016

Chewy Caramel Apple Cookies

Chewy Caramel Apple Cookies -

Caramel Apple Cookies

I remember the vividly- caramel apple lolly pops. They are probably still around actually- a bright green sweet sour apple dipped in toffee. My 7th grade teacher used to give them to the class as rewards for pop quizzes correct answers, and I love them. I was a sucker for all the candy in this age, but those in particular- ( sucker .. you see what I did there ?!)

Now that my preferences culinary changed a bit, I prefer real apples on the kind of fake candy, and prefers to bite into a soft, gooey cookie than spend my time working away at my old favorite pop candy. Fortunately, this is possible with the creation of this wonderful cookie.

CaramelAppleCookies

A soft brown sugar and cinnamon base filled with chopped dried apply and caramel pieces. Using dried apple vs fresh preserves the soft texture of the cookie, but instills bright and tangy taste. scattered caramel pieces give a surprise, ooey gooey with every bite. I made these twice in recent weeks and the advice paradise was quite large. Biting into one may not be as rewarding as scoring a lollypop in Grade 7, but has a good taste, I swear!

Print
Chewy Caramel Apple Cookies
Ingredients
  • 12 tablespoons softened butter [sucrebrun
  • 1 cup (light or dark)
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • 1 egg and 1 yellow
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
  • 2 cups and 2 tablespoons of flour
  • ½ teaspoon of baking soda
  • salt ½ teaspoon
  • 1 cup dried apples, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 caramel cup candies, unwrapped and diced *
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Put aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy and smooth. Add egg, yolk, and vanilla, and beat until creamy.
  3. Add the dry ingredients until just incorporated and fold in caramel and apples.
  4. Use a spoon or cookie scoop to portion the dough into even sized slices on a cookie 2 inches.
  5. Bake for 9-12 minutes or until edges are set and just golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet before serving or transfer
Notes
* I cut each square caramel in two 3rds and then into squares. I think the small pieces are best but whatever size will work well.

Base recipe adapted from Cooking Illustrated

Advertiser