Friday, December 23, 2016

Whole Wheat Bagels All

Whole Wheat Bagels All -

IMG_59811

I love shortcuts. I will not lie, I am totally excited and when I want to cook something-I want to cook right now (and not in 12+ hours of waiting.) Fortunately for me, some of my greatest successes came the up and down looking for a faster way to do something that I was dying. It happened in the morning, I wanted cinnamon rolls, and also the other day when I had my heart set on making bagels from scratch. I went to the store, bought all bagel toppings, got all excited, and then read the portion of leave bagels at night evidence. So- instead of a - do something new or b be patient and wait -in fact, I choose option c - a way to make right now.

Recently+Updated381

So- I searched and searched until I found a recipe that I liked. Bagels in the recipe I settled on look amazing while kneading could be done by hand, and I wish I had a freshly made bagel in hand sometime this morning. Success!

IMG_5960

You guys- these bagels are awesome . Would they have been better if I had used a recipe that took overnight? Maybe- and I'm sure I'll try it this way thereafter - but why mess with a good thing? These bagels had a crisp outside with two full sides of my favorite toppings, and inside were soft and warm with the perfect amount of chew. If you want to try your hand at homemade rolls, but even an ounce of my impatience- this recipe is for you.

IMG_59781

Print
Whole Bagels wheat All
Ingredients
  • 1 ½ hot water (slightly warmer than your body 110 degrees)
  • 4 ½ t dried yeast active (or 2 packets)
  • 3 sugar T
  • 2 t salt
  • 2 c bread flour
  • 1 ½ - 2 c whole wheat flour
  • washing of eggs: 1 egg white water and 1T
  • Toppings: 4 tsp each dried garlic, dried onion, poppy seeds and sesame seeds and 2 tablespoons kosher salt all mixed together in a bowl.
Instructions
  1. Dissolve sugar in water and add yeast. Let stand until the mixture bubbles, a few minutes
  2. Meanwhile, sift together flour bread, 1 ½ tsp of whole wheat flour, and salt. Make a well in center and add the yeast mixture. Mix well. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, adding additional flour whole wheat needed.
  3. Place dough in a large greased bowl. Cover and put in a warm place- let rise until doubled in size, about an hour.
  4. Divide the dough into small pieces with a scraper / knife bench. Shape each into a ball and let rest for a few minutes.
  5. Flatten each round with the palm your hand f. With the thumb press deep into the center of bagel and tear a hole in the center with your fingers. Pull the open hole. Bagels cover with a cloth and leave for about 10 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven to 400.
  7. Bring about 2 liters of water to boil and add 1 T sugar. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
  8. Put 2-3 bagels at once in simmering water for about 30 seconds, turning once. Drain and place on lined baking sheets with parchment paper.
  9. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with toppings. Using a spatula or flip your fingers- more bagels and repeat with egg washing and toppings.
  10. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden.

Recipe slightly adapted: Blog Corrie

Advertiser