Monday, January 23, 2017

Peppermint Oreos

Peppermint Oreos -
MG_43011

Happy Friday !! Do you know what day it is? My first Guest Post on a blog !! I could not be happier to be displayed for the wonderful Dennis chef on a culinary journey. I had the chance to meet Dennis at Foodbuzz Festival last month and since then I am looking forward to the opportunity to contribute to its wonderful site.

Can you believe Christmas is almost two weeks? I can not. I have not bought a gift or sang a song: This must change. I have however been cooking a bazillion cookies! Are you surprised that I still make another version of Homemade Oreos? These are basically the same recipe as these, but with crushed candy canes on top and a delicious mint filling. So make sure you say hello to Chef Dennis!

MG_42911

Peppermint Oreos
is filled biscuits 25-30
Ingredients
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Jan 1 to 1/2 cups sugar (depending on how sweet you want the cookies- I used 1 cup.)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) at room temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg
2 Candy Canes Crushed

fill
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) at room temperature unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening (I used the Organics Brand I spectrum have mentioned above.)
2 cups sifted icing sugar
a few drops of peppermint extract (the stuff that I was strong, so I can not use too much, I mix gradually until the right level of minty-ness)
green food coloring (optional)

Instructions
1. Set two racks in the middle of the furnace. Preheat to 375 ° F
2. In a food processor or bowl of an electric mixer, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt and sugar. While jogging, or low speed, add the butter and egg. Continue treatment or the mixture until dough comes together in a mass.
3. Take rounded teaspoons coffee paste and dip the tops in the cane crushed candy. Place on a sheet of parchment baking sheet about two inches. (These cookies spread a lot so give them plenty of room!) Bake for 8-11 minutes, turning once for even cooking. Set stove on a rack to cool.
4. To make the custard, place the butter and shortening in a mixing bowl and low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and extract mint. Turn mixer on high and beat for 2-3 minutes until the filling is light and fluffy.
5. To assemble the cookies in a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch round tip, pipe cream in the center of a biscuit. Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on the top of the cream. Lightly press to work filling evenly on the outer sides of the cookie. Continue this process until all the witnesses have been sandwiched with cream.

Recipe adapted from "Retro Desserts" by Wayne Brachman

Advertiser