Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Star Spangled Berry Tart

Star Spangled Berry Tart -

StarBerryTart2

I'm not always in the spirit of cooking with the holiday in mind, but when I do, I want to go all out! It seems too perfect that July is the height of berry season that lends a perfectly patriotic colors game. This tart berry is light, fruity and super easy!

a butter crust filled with a simple filling of lemon cream cheese and topped with berries. To make the cute yet additional festive- I cut a few stars on the extra crust and sprinkled with coarse sugar. They are the cutest topping tart- this (if you can resist snacking on them!)

StarBerryTart

Regarding the desserts of was to serve on a hot summer day, I can not think of anything better than lemony, fresh, tart berries can you? (Best I also love ice cream, popsicles, fruit pies, and much more there is that.)

I head to Wisconsin with Hugo later this week to celebrate the fourth with my family- then the following weekend, Andy joins me and we head to a baby without marriage night. I felt super-nervous about it at first, but it will be in good hands with my mother and I actually get quite incredibly excited for a night to ourselves. (Though I know I'll be missing baby all the time ...)

Come back for another great recipe on Wednesday !!

Print
Star Spangled Berry Tart
Ingredients
  • 2½ cups flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • cold 2 sticks of butter, cut into pieces
  • 2 egg yolks
  • ice water
  • ¼ cup
  • 1 8 oz pack cheese cream, softened
  • ½ cup sugar
  • zest and juice 1 lemon
  • 2 cups mixed berries
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • raw sugar for sprinkling
Instructions
  1. In a food processor, combine flour and sugar for a few seconds. Add the butter and process for 20-30 seconds until coarse crumbs form. With the machine running add the yolks and ice water until the dough holds together. Form one large disk and wrap with plastic wrap refrigerate for at least an hour.
  2. Roll the crust of about ⅛ inch thick, and cut a large enough section to cover the base and sides of a 9-inch fluted tart pan. Cut the edges; place the paper into pulp and fill with pie weights (or dried beans); bake 20-25 minutes at 375F. Remove the paper and beans and cook for 5 minutes; let cool.
  3. While the crust is baking, use a small knife and cut star starts from the remaining dough. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake the stars for about 7 minutes (once the pastry is done.)
  4. For filling- cream the cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and zest. Refrigerate until ready to use
To assemble :.
  1. Once the pastry has cooled, spread topping cream cheese on the bottom. Arrange the berries over the filling and top with chilled pastry stars. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

Advertiser