Monday, February 6, 2017

Massaged Kale Caesar Salad

Massaged Kale Caesar Salad -

kale3

You guys- Hell may have frozen. I post a non-dessert because my first post of 2014! I was actually a sweet recipe originally scheduled for today, but I posted a poll on my Facebook page and majority led a first salad recipe and return to treats next week. :)

Fortunately this salad is not only full of healthy dark, leafy vegetables, but it is so so good. I love this enough to have done several times already and I implore enough every day. It is a place salad in the city called sweetgreens makes a cabbage caesar I used to go every week or for my fix but now I do not have to! Their version is half cabbage / Roman half but I love all the kale version and I need these greens so there go!

kale2

This was my first time making my own Caesar dressing and also my first time doing a "massaged" coleslaw which results in super sweet tender greens that are not the least bit hard or rough as I always presupposes kale salads being. The dressing is perfectly flavored and crisp delicious is added from the garnish salad with "parmesan chips," which are crunchy toast with parmesan crisp on top. (They add a great touch but regular croutons work too !)

as I approach the baby time, I found myself craving sweets. a lot. My midwife wants me to try to reduce them in the final straight, so I hope not you do not mind a larger mix of sweet and savory as we go. I really loved this salad and felt so good to get all the vitamins and nutrients from the cabbage. It is a new favorite for sure! :)

Print
Massaged Kale Caesar Salad
Ingredients
  • 1For the dressing:
  • ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
  • 2 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • ¼ c. Worcestershire sauce
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 3-4 anchovy fillets
  • 2½ c. mayonnaise
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 oz Parmesan cheese, finely grated
For the salad:
  • 1 bunch kale, about 8-12 oz, with ribs removed, cut into bite pieces
  • 1 c. olive oil
  • chips parmesan croutons or
  • tomatoes
  • ½ cup grape / cherry. (Optional)
  • grated Parmesan, to serve
Instructions
For the vinaigrette:
  1. Use a fork to mash the anchovies into a paste and add a small bowl with the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, oil and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk together and mix well. Add pepper and Parmesan cheese and continue whisking until (ish) sauce is formed. Add more pepper and salt to taste
For cabbage :.
  1. In a large bowl, pour the oil on kale. Use your hands to massage the oil into the green for a few minutes until they are shiny and soft.
  2. Add chips or croutons parmesan and tomatoes.
  3. Toss with the sauce and garnish with grated Parmesan.
notes
* If you do not add the croutons / chips salad can actually stay in the fridge a few hours and kale holds up very well. Mix in croutons before serving so they do not get soggy

Recipe adapted :. Annie Eats via Three Many Cooks

Advertiser